Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

My defroster mod

Old 03-07-2010, 10:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My defroster mod

I was looking for a way to get heat to the bottom corner of the windshield where the defroster doesn't reach. At the hardware store I purchased a Genova 3/4 inch, slip x slip, 90 degree, PVC, elbow. The part number is 30707 and is made in the USA. You can Google it. I hack sawed a 1/2 inch off one end
and sanded it to lower its profile. After drilling a small hole in the radius I inserted an 8-32 threaded screw hook and nut. The hook latches into the defroster grill to hold it down and allows the elbow to be rotated in any direction. http://my.project-jk.com/data/1530/m...rostmod1sm.jpg

It can even be rotated toward you to blow warm air in your face.

When the weather permits, or at least warms up to 50 degrees, I plan on spraying the elbow to match the color of the dash.

Last edited by Mud Bug; 03-07-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Have you noticed if it make a difference?
Old 03-07-2010, 11:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a great idea... my dumb ass installed a CB radio there during the summer. When winter hit the CB was hot as hell and my windshield didn't get one degree of heat from the defrost.

I'll have to modify your design a bit to fit my set-up... but that's a damn good idea.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the multitude of applications for pvc pipe on the jeep. Well played good sir.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Ice
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-08-2010, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
Have you noticed if it make a difference?
I only installed one on the driver’s side so I could compare the DS to the PS. It definitely cleared the frost in the corner faster than the stock side. For 40 cents, pick one up and tape it there to try it for yourself. For the hook you can use a long screw with the head cut off if your hardware doesn't carry threaded screw hooks. The hook end is more of an over bent L rather than a fish hook. This makes it easier to hook on the defroster grill. I later found some neat little 8-32 cap nuts in the table lamp parts section at the hardware that dressed up the top better.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by xerofall
That's a great idea... my dumb ass installed a CB radio there during the summer. When winter hit the CB was hot as hell and my windshield didn't get one degree of heat from the defrost.

I'll have to modify your design a bit to fit my set-up... but that's a damn good idea.
Don't forget to show us your different take on the Mod. I would love to hear about it and see a picture of it along with how you mounted your CB. I mounted my CB up above the rear view mirror.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Try routing heat to the back

Originally Posted by Mud Bug
I only installed one on the driver’s side so I could compare the DS to the PS. It definitely cleared the frost in the corner faster than the stock side. For 40 cents, pick one up and tape it there to try it for yourself. For the hook you can use a long screw with the head cut off if your hardware doesn't carry threaded screw hooks. The hook end is more of an over bent L rather than a fish hook. This makes it easier to hook on the defroster grill. I later found some neat little 8-32 cap nuts in the table lamp parts section at the hardware that dressed up the top better.
I've been interested in doing something similar to route heat from the floor vents to the back seats, but to lazy/busy to take this on, hopefully someday someone will do it for me.

Good idea.

DD

Quick Reply: My defroster mod