Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

My CB install

Old 07-14-2007, 04:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My CB install

I have recently finished my CB install, and since I do a lot of highway driving, I went with dual whips to give a slightly better range/reception. I bought the Warrior windshield light brackets, a dual whip kit with co-phase cable, and had my own PA speaker from rat shack, and CB (can't remember where I bought it). I have not had enough time/money to complete this until now, and here it is.
First I installed the warrior mounts, then the whips to them.

I ran the cable under the cowl to the passenger side.

I then ran the cable inside using the clutch hole.

Then I ran a cable to the PA, and mounted the speaker.

I ran the power from the cigarette lighter (I don't smoke, so it is not used for anything else) and put a switch on the line.

The longest time was to decide how to mount the CB. If you have read an earlier post, then you know that I have been trying different things. I went with a simple solution for now. I drilled 2 holes in the top panel over the radio, then used the drill at an angle to make "cuts". I then pushed the mount through the top panel, and then replaced the panel. I am still waiting to go to a place down here that sells hardware (Broward Bolt) and get some 10-32*1/4" bolts with a head that is almost flush with the mount, and uses a weird tool to unscrew (security).

When I went on the Tampa Bay run, I had the top down, and at some points there were trees that were pushing the antennas inside of my Jeep (almost 90 degrees back. I know that this is now a secure mount that will not have any problems with hitting things.

EDIT:
For those that were wondering about how I was going to securely mount my CB, I have gotten it as good as possible, but nothing is perfect. I have the mount through the top panel, and I used 10 X 32 Button head screws to attach the radio to the mount. This way the neighborhood jackal can't take it.

Last edited by zoomzoomjr; 08-22-2007 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Finished
Old 07-21-2007, 10:44 AM
JK Freak

Are you having probems with the direction on your compass Zoomzoom?
Old 07-21-2007, 11:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Barno -- No I am not having problems.
Grant211 -- I just received an e-mail that my images have been moved on the hosting site, and I have to re-link them. Finished. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by zoomzoomjr; 07-21-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:49 PM
JK Super Freak

I also have a CB/PA in my Jeep. I noticed you have the same exact PA speaker as me, also in nearly the same location. Mines painted black and at a slight angle pointing out though so you can barely see it walking by. Also, has anyone noticed any other gromets that are accessible from inside the car?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:24 PM
JK Super Freak

I love the PA speaker, but I need an amp to raise the volume. I have read some threads of people using the foam holes, drilling new ones, and also going into the battery box.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

Careful with that PA in the bumper like that.... Do any mudding or fording and it's toast.

That's how I killed my aftermarket horns. Pair of marine trumpets tucked in behind the bumper had too much to drink.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

I actually had that problem with it in my other vehicle, so when I moved it, I put some holes in it. As long as it is not powered while submerged, I am fine.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

Default CB Install

Ok, where else have folks installed their CB?
Old 08-05-2007, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by unimog2
Ok, where else have folks installed their CB?
This is a dual band VHF/UHF amatuer radio (HAM Radio) but a CB with a remote head unit could be mounted the same way.

Remote Head Unit.

Main Radio Unit Icom IC-208H under driver seat above water line.

Remote Mic location.

Direct Battery wiring route (Passenger side)

License Plate Antenna mount with 52" Comet dual band antenna (additional 6DB gain).

Old 08-22-2007, 03:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Bump.
P. S.
It is now as secured as possible. (Edit above)

Quick Reply: My CB install