Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Mopar OEM Skid Plate Install / Write Up

Old 04-17-2007, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Mopar OEM Skid Plate Install / Write Up

Mopar OEM Skid Plate - 2007 Jeep Wrangler
[82210401]

Purchased at this link - $184.50. They have slow shipping.

wranglerpartsstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=927&osCsid=14fa5d4c13 56cc785f27ad9af3cdc684"]http://www.wranglerpartsstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=927&osCsid=14fa5d4c13 56cc785f27ad9af3cdc684

Basically this is an easy install - there is nothing technical to the install and no special skills or tools are required (besides basic wrenches etc.). It is very recommended to have a buddy help you hold the skid though.

I went off roading one afternoon - after busting through some mud and water the factory OEM plastic skid guard was just hanging there. I had to get muddy and fix this on the trail. This plastic skid thing needs to go if you are going to do any off roading worthy of a Jeep.

Here is a picture of the parts you will get and some simple tools to use - please note the nuts and bolts on the far right are only needed if you have the Mopar OEM off-road bumper.

1st step - remove this item in picture. The instructions say use a phillips screw driver but it is difficult. Just yank the sobs plastic screws out and throw them away.

2nd step - once the plastic skid is removed add the two brackets to this bar.

Make sure that the U in the bracket points towards the rear. Use the 15 mm bolts and nuts. These are the bolts and nuts that you should have 4 total of. Only use two at this time. You can go ahead and tighten these all the way down. 37 ft lbs.

3rd step - get the larger bolts (there are only two of these and two nuts) thread these together with just your hands. Please note - make sure that you get the correct size socket for these bolts - the directions for me said 15 mm but they were actually 16 mm. The directions say to place them on the brackets from step two but I don't recommend this they just fall off. Get your friend and maybe even a sturdy box. Examine the large skid plate, there are two open grooves on the rear, place the bolts in these grooves and hold them here while your friends helps support the skid plate. The bolt heads should be closest to the ground. With your friends help and holding the bolts slide the skid and bolts into the U of the brackets you installed earlier. Keep supporting it and tighten these up - tighten up pretty good but not all the way.

One thing to remember for this step is to make sure the bolt is pushed all the way up - it should not have any gaps like this picture does.

4th step - With the two left 15 mm bolts and nuts the same kind you used for the brackets install these into the holes and skid at the front. Just a little bit inside the fog lights.

You can see it here on the left right under the WARN red strap -

5th step - Make sure you have all the bolts where you want them and tighten them down. The 15mm ones in step 4 goto 37 pounds and the 19mm ones in step 3 goto 65 ft lbs.

You are done - here is another picture

Overall it is very easy to install especially if you have a friend. Looks real nice and is sturdy but not super heavy. I wish it covered more area - you can still change your oil without having to take this off. This is a nice skid but I would think it is more worth about $125.00.

I will test it on the rocks soon and let you know how it stands up.

:toung:

Last edited by wayoflife; 12-20-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:17 PM
JK Freak

can this skid plate be used in conjuction with an after market bumper...possibly an LOD bumper??
Old 04-17-2007, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bofer84
can this skid plate be used in conjuction with an after market bumper...possibly an LOD bumper??
I am not positive but I don't think it would work with the LOD. I don't think it would be able to bolt to the front.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice write-up, thanks for doing it!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bofer84
The LoD bumper has a built in skidplate.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gracias for taking the time to write this up mi amigo.

I speak spanglish. Don't ask why, I just felt like speeking spanglish.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

nice writeup, good pics too!

tho i feel the need to mention that the plastic piece u removed was just the air dam for redirecting air under the front of the jeep. as you say, since it's plastic, it wont protect you from much
Old 01-29-2008, 10:41 AM
JK Junkie

Will this skid plate work with the new Rugged Ridge XHD bumper system?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 01-29-2008, 12:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Where did the pictures go!! All I see is white background with a red x. whats up.

Quick Reply: Mopar OEM Skid Plate Install / Write Up