Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Mikes Mirror Mod - for doors off (cheap)

Old 04-12-2007, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely ingenious! And cheap.... I like it!
As far as legality issues with having an external mirror, I could just stick one on my shoe and drive with it out the door, right???
Old 04-17-2007, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rubidozer
Absolutely ingenious! And cheap.... I like it!
As far as legality issues with having an external mirror, I could just stick one on my shoe and drive with it out the door, right???
I was wondering about the whole foot thing myself. Thought maybe I would be accused of looking up skirts with them when I got out of the Jeep and went into the wal-mart
Think I will stick with mike's idea!!!!
Old 04-26-2007, 09:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Damn I feel dumb now. I take my hat off to you . I still don't know if it's legal but it beats not having anything and trying to talk your way out of it.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AllPlay
I found an ultra cheap and effective way to add mirrors when the doors are off.

This is for the 2007 Jeep JK's only.

First, find your AirConditioning vent. (Notice windows in the distance are an AutoZone Parts, This can be accomplished in the parking lot)

Next, turn it closed so the flat/solid side faces you.

Third, Take the small round mirror you just purchased in AutoZone and line it up to make sure it is slightly smaller than the vent,

Fourth, remove the back piece of paper that reveals the sticky surface of the foam tape which is on the mirror and stick it in place.

Enjoy it!

And add another to the passengers side if desired and adjust for best view

This mirror can be rotated out of view to use the Air duct as usual.

Cost = $1.99 ea.

This has been "Mike's Mirror Mod" tell everyone about it!
Unfortunately, here in Wasjhington state, this setup is illegal!
We are required to have one outside rear facing mirror. The other problem is -- if you read the law carefully, we aren't even allowed to take the doors off!

Damn politicians!
Old 04-26-2007, 08:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paulp575
We are required to have one outside rear facing mirror. The other problem is -- if you read the law carefully, we aren't even allowed to take the doors off!

Damn politicians!
Have someone else take them off! See, there is a way around everything!
Old 04-27-2007, 05:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by paulp575

Damn politicians!
I'm so glad I live in the south where they expect you to do dangerous and sometimes stupid things. Everyone knows to call 911 automatically when you hear phrases like "Yep that ought to work" or "Hey ya'll watch this". So many fellows ride w/o doors and mirrors it's crazy but then agian you can still ride in the bed of a pickup here. The law requires an outside mirror. I think that is a federal mandate like speed limits were when it was 55mph max. My luck would be I am the only one in a convoy of jeeps to get pulled over. Aside from all that I like to use them to back up and change lanes so I am off to the hardwear store after heading by the truck stop because Autozone nor Advance had anything except a mirror head that was useful yesterday.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BJeepJK
i was thinking about just calling but i'm sure they wouldn't understand what i was talking about ... "you're going to put a mirror on your vent ???" LOL. I'd like them to see it so they can see how far back you can see and stuff like that.
Maybe i'm just looking for an excuse to go have a beer, i'll hold off on running red lights for awhile.

This guy posted good images of what you can see. Nice idea.
Originally Posted by Schpeen
A few of us were talking about what to do about the lack of a rear view mirror when you remove the doors so I came up with this.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
That was my first thought when I saw this, but I'm guessing it'd act as a "get out of jail free" card at least once, if you're polite and a good talker...
Or if your passenger is a hot jeep girl
Old 01-18-2009, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice mod btw, for those states (or state troopers) that aren't picky
Old 01-23-2009, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

Don't know if this was thought of, but this could also serve as a good solution for that missing mirror on the visor for your lady passengers!

Quick Reply: Mikes Mirror Mod - for doors off (cheap)