Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Mikes Mirror Mod - for doors off (cheap)

Old 03-27-2007, 07:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Mod

It looks like it was made to go there! I think if I got pulled over by the police I would have to say Jeep put them there for when the doors are off. Jeep is very savy about the laws Mr.Police man.

I should have checked Walmart first. That make this mod only $2 and a few cents to cover both sides!
Pick Mike's Mirror Mod (MMM) as the best Cheap Mod ever!!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SONIC
i have a better cheap mod!

heses my writeup:

Go find a mud hole
Drive all in it
get muddy

WHALLLA an instant awesome appearance mod!
It looks like someone is slowly convincing himself to trade in that Mustang for a new Jeep!
Old 03-28-2007, 03:16 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rubimon
It looks like someone is slowly convincing himself to trade in that Mustang for a new Jeep!
Old 03-28-2007, 03:37 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't care, drilling holes in your mirrors is still cheaper! I still win!

Dang, $0.97........ I might just put one on each vent just because they are cheap and I like looking at myself. I'm thinking the center ones might be good for that mini skirt shot. Where was this mod when I was in High School?

now THAT is a very good idea!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:36 AM
TEV
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great idea, as far legality... has anyone ever actually been pulled over for no mirrors? To me its kinda like the front licence plate in Texas, I havn't ran one for years and never got a ticket.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

Awesome mod, I just did it myself, although I have yet to drive with the doors off because of the rain. As you all know, every state is different, but I asked a police officer about it and at least in Texas you only have to have a mirror that has a clear view 200 feet behind you. He said it doesn't matter where it is, as long as you can see that far behind you. I used to run the cheap auto zone mirror in the bolt hole, but it never could get it adjusted right. Now I just use the windshield mirror, but I like this mod because it will let me see in the blind spots.

By the way, I have never met anyone who has actually gotten a ticket for the liscence plate, but I along with 4 or 5 others I know have gotten pulled over for only that and given a warning. I still don't use one though, its pointless and I like the look better without.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:22 AM
JK Freak

I don't care, drilling holes in your mirrors is still cheaper! I still win!

Dang, $0.97........
Mirrors get my vote... you do have to have a drill ($69.99-$149.99). or at least a drill bit ($5.00) to put the hole in the mirrors. no tool needed to stick on some .97 cent mirrors
Old 03-29-2007, 04:33 AM
JK Junkie

OK - I think we may have overlooked one crucial piece of information on this mirror mod. I am an impartial voter - I have yet to drill my side mirrors, but the drill is sitting in the garage waiting, and I went out to Wallymart last night with the missus and grabbed 4 of those little mirrors (1 for each side mirror, 1 for each side vent, along with $70 of other Jeep-related stuff).

Here's the big-money question: Do we have to drill these INTERIOR mirrors so that they don't drip into the vents, or do they have adequate drainage right from the factory?
Old 03-29-2007, 06:05 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
OK - I think we may have overlooked one crucial piece of information on this mirror mod. I am an impartial voter - I have yet to drill my side mirrors, but the drill is sitting in the garage waiting, and I went out to Wallymart last night with the missus and grabbed 4 of those little mirrors (1 for each side mirror, 1 for each side vent, along with $70 of other Jeep-related stuff).

Here's the big-money question: Do we have to drill these INTERIOR mirrors so that they don't drip into the vents, or do they have adequate drainage right from the factory?

Good question. IF we dont drill them, will they ice over in the winter?

(as a side note however, i DO know that if i position any of them to get the proper viewing angle when the spousal unit sits in the passenger seat inna dress, I will get drilled right in the side of the head.)
Old 03-29-2007, 07:28 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Good question. IF we dont drill them, will they ice over in the winter?

(as a side note however, i DO know that if i position any of them to get the proper viewing angle when the spousal unit sits in the passenger seat inna dress, I will get drilled right in the side of the head.)
I explained the doors-off use of the little mirrors to the wife, but must've accidentally left out that possible use...

Quick Reply: Mikes Mirror Mod - for doors off (cheap)