Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

LockBox bolted into JK trunk floor

Old 06-11-2008, 04:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LockBox bolted into JK trunk floor

Soft-top JK's don't have many secure places to tuck away and leave tools & winch gear, so I bolted this locking steel box to the trunk floor of my 4-door JK. The benefit for me is that this box is big enough to securely hold plenty of tools and trail gear, small enough so I can continue using the stock rear cubby and still open and close it with the Bestop Duster cover over it, and allow use of the remaining trunk space for larger objects.

The black powder-coated 37lb steel box cost $120 + $25 shipping. It included vehicle mounting brackets but I didnt use them as it cannot be permanently secured with those. Bought from http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...ssearch=174004

In the trunk I positioned it behind the stock cubby lid and 6" inches forward of the rear seats. That does make that 6" of space useless, but I did so when the hinged top is opened, it leans back far enough to stay open (resting on the rear seat backs) and not slam down on my hand. I would have positioned it further to the left or right side but the suspension springs are underneath so there's not enough room underneath to get the bolts up into the box corner, so the box is positioned just left of center.

I drilled four 1/4 inch size holes in the box corners and through the JK's floor, then pushed 3" or 4" long domed-top Carriage Bolts with washers up from the JK's underside through the trunk floor and into the toolbox, and secured with washers and nuts on the inside on the box, so anyone serious enough to try unbolting and taking the padlocked box cannot !!

I thought of using wing nuts but chose regular nuts as don't expect I'll have a need to remove the box. To prevent rattling I used a plastic-coated padlock and the box comes with a rubber pad for the inside floor.

Works well & happy
Old 07-08-2009, 12:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BryGuy

Thanks for the link. I was thinking about doing something like this as well.
I ran out of space in my JK gallery so had to delete a few of the photos, can email you them if needed. I still use this box and definitely like it for the security it provides when door and roofless. It took a fair amount of time to keep the box located for easy access and get the retaining bolts up past the rear axle.

Quick Reply: LockBox bolted into JK trunk floor