Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

JK Front Speaker Enclosure Modification

Old 06-22-2016, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awesome!

I did this to the Polk dB 6.5 in the dash and it made a drastic improvement!!!
Old 10-28-2018, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up My modifications to my 2007 Sahara Unlimited speakers.

These are my weekend modifications to my JK unlimited speakers. Much better sound and more efficient factory stereo reproducing sound. I now attain same loudness than before with less volume. I modified the enclosures by upgrading woofers upfront porting the enclosure and adding acoustic material to the inside of both front and rear speakers enclosures.

Rear soundbar modification pictures:

Speakers:
Front tweeters factory ones.
Front woofers 6.5" Pyle
Rears Coaxial Kickers 6.5"
Ports:
Front 2"x 4" round
Rear 2" x 2" round
Acoustic material:
Egg crate type for speaker enclosures
The following users liked this post:
carmelk6 (03-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 09:34 PM
JK Newbie

Great older post. I plan on doing this mod soon. Where did you source the port tubes you used? Thanks. -Todd
Old Today, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up It Worked! Thank you!

Thanks! Very Happy with this mod. awsome Mid Bass 150 Rms in front speakers.Yes!

Originally Posted by Pasoup1
I recently replaced all four speakers in my JK Unlimited with some Pioneer TS-G1643R's. I wanted to keep the stock stereo unit and chose these speakers because of their good efficiency (90db/watt). You can now feel the bass drum kick and the sound level is audibly higher with the stock radio. The back speakers in the sound bar were worth changing because the stock speakers did not have tweeters but the Pioneers do so you can hear the rears from the drivers seat now.

First remove the stock enclosures from your vehicle. Search the forum for how to do this as others have posted very good information that I used when I did my R&R

Drill a 2.125 hole in the back of the enclosure. Size the hole depending on the OD of the PVC pipe. Measure carefully so the tube will fit snugly.

Attachment 227508

Cut the PVC 2 inches long. Here is photo of the hole cut and the PVC cut.

Attachment 227458

Press the PVC into the hole and leave a small amount sticking out. Use a 2 part epoxy to bond the PVC tube to the enclosure. Here is a picture with the tube installed.

Attachment 227505

Fill the back of the enclosure with polyester matting like the kind that is used to stuff cushions. You can buy this at a fabric store. Try and keep the material from completely covering the port you just installed.

Attachment 227499

Using small pieces of Dynamat cover up the holes around the perimeter of the speaker on the back side. Completely cover the exterior of the enclosure with Dynamat. Connect the speaker wires and be careful about the polarity or else the speakers will be out of phase and low frequencies will be affected. Use the screws supplied by the vendor to mount the speaker. Reinstall the enclosures in your Jeep and prepare to rock! . I will answer any questions that are posted.

Attachment 227523

Quick Reply: JK Front Speaker Enclosure Modification