Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Jeep jk "latch rattle"

Old 03-28-2013, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep jk "latch rattle"

Hello All,

This is my first write up; unfortunately I did not take photos. I was trying to find out what the metal to metal clunk I was hearing every time I went over a bump in the road was. I read several posts about this and how to adjust the latch and tape the striker. All of these were filled with great info; my issue was a little different.

I found the problem to be inside the rear door itself. When you take the plastic vent off you can see there are two layers of metal inside. One is the outside of the door the other seems like it's there for support.

Basically the two were clanging together every time a hit a bump. Solution was to carefully force a 3"X3" piece of rubber (I used inner tube) between the two sheets of metal. The sound was significantly decreased.

Don't know if that will help anyone else but thought I would share.

Happy Trails,
~J
Old 03-28-2013, 06:26 PM
JK Junkie

I appreciate your info. I have a similar rattle and I'll be taking your advise on checking this out. Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

Mine rattled because two of the 3 latch screws that hold it in place were gone...
Old 03-28-2013, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

sometimes if your get a rattle in an un-accessable area. i have seen stuff such as great stuff aerosol spray foam used. It is simple and cheap.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by southern_boy79rs
sometimes if your get a rattle in an un-accessable area. i have seen stuff such as great stuff aerosol spray foam used. It is simple and cheap.
I had that issue, I filled my entire rear tailgate with it, its covered by a smittybilt gear attachment anyways so nothing is seen.

Quick Reply: Jeep jk "latch rattle"