Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

iPod installed in center console Step-by- Step

Old 06-21-2007, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same sort of deal - but with the TomTom

I did just about what you're talking about here with one VERY COOL exception.

I've got a TomTom 710 which has ipod control built in. The iPod plugs into a cable that runs for the TomTom down behind the dash panel into the glovebox.

The power is coming from a hidden cigarette lighter plug installed inside the dash (I used the switched side - mistake).

Everything is hidden - iPod stays hidden away in the glovebox. Power cords are all hidden. The only thing showing is the right angle plug coming from head unit (came with TomTom iPod kit) and the nav mount sticking to the windshield.

Now, the cool part, I use the TomTom for both nav and iPod control, and when she speaks up, it pauses my music and speaks directions over the stereo.

It's also got bluetooth built in - so it is a speakerphone that connects automatically when I get in. I can answer AND DIAL from the TomTom unit. And again, speakerphone pauses the music and it all comes over stock stereo.

:-D

I also have an Harman Kardon ipod control in another car - would highly recommend that if you don't want nav features or already have something...

Last edited by gerryc; 06-21-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Nice mod!

Amazing, the ingenuity of this forum's members!
Old 05-28-2008, 07:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gerryc

I did just about what you're talking about here with one VERY COOL exception.

I've got a TomTom 710 which has ipod control built in. The iPod plugs into a cable that runs for the TomTom down behind the dash panel into the glovebox.

The power is coming from a hidden cigarette lighter plug installed inside the dash (I used the switched side - mistake).

Everything is hidden - iPod stays hidden away in the glovebox. Power cords are all hidden. The only thing showing is the right angle plug coming from head unit (came with TomTom iPod kit) and the nav mount sticking to the windshield.

Now, the cool part, I use the TomTom for both nav and iPod control, and when she speaks up, it pauses my music and speaks directions over the stereo.

It's also got bluetooth built in - so it is a speakerphone that connects automatically when I get in. I can answer AND DIAL from the TomTom unit. And again, speakerphone pauses the music and it all comes over stock stereo.

:-D

I also have an Harman Kardon ipod control in another car - would highly recommend that if you don't want nav features or already have something...

Curious how you control the Ipod with the Tom Tom. I have the Garmin Nuvi, I wonder if I could rig that to control the Ipod.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cool man! I have the iPod connector in my glove compartment, controlled directly from the stereo... but your solution is a great alternative to spending $$$

Quick Reply: iPod installed in center console Step-by- Step