Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

iPod installed in center console Step-by- Step

Old 01-26-2007, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job on the install -- very slick inside the storage box! I've been thinking about doing something like this myself, but for some reason I can't get past the little loop of cord to the front-panel AUX input...

I have the 6-disc w/ Sirius, and looking at the pinouts here, there are some labeled "Audio Return" 1-4... I'd *really* like to hard wire the iPod input to the back of the unit and bypass the front input all together. Anyone tried this or have any more thoughts on the issue?
Old 01-26-2007, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmccurdy
Nice job on the install -- very slick inside the storage box! I've been thinking about doing something like this myself, but for some reason I can't get past the little loop of cord to the front-panel AUX input...

I have the 6-disc w/ Sirius, and looking at the pinouts here, there are some labeled "Audio Return" 1-4... I'd *really* like to hard wire the iPod input to the back of the unit and bypass the front input all together. Anyone tried this or have any more thoughts on the issue?
That is what I really wanted to do too. I just had never done anything like that before. There are probably just some small metal connectors that you attach to the end of your wire and insert into the back of the plug.

Question is, if you use the audio return, what input do you set the stereo on for your sound?
Old 01-26-2007, 12:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jeephrog
Question is, if you use the audio return, what input do you set the stereo on for your sound?
Right -- I'm not even sure what "audio return" means. One time I rented a Durango that had a little DVD player console thing where the dome light usually is, and it also had a set of A/V RCA plugs in there. It did not have an AUX input on the head unit, so pressing "AUX" just took the input from those RCA plugs. I wonder if this is a similar kind of thing -- I could imaging something like pressing AUX more than once to cycle through the different AUX input sources. Doesn't seem too far fetched...
Old 01-29-2007, 04:12 AM
nextreme

How do you control the iPod from inside the console?
Old 01-29-2007, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nextreme
How do you control the iPod from inside the console?
I just pull it out of the console to control it. usually starting a playlist and putting it back in. The wire is long enough to stay attached when you pull it out so you or a passenger can change the music easily.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default ipod mounting

Crutchfield Part # 042ul747mi with a short aux cord, looks pretty fine and accessable.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Puddlz
Crutchfield Part # 042ul747mi with a short aux cord, looks pretty fine and accessable.
I'm sure that is good product, but the entire purpose of doing it the way I did was to 1) eliminate clutter in the cab 2) keep wires/cables/iPod hidden.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rubimon
I have been searching for a 3.5 mm jack that is on a right angle to even make it less noticeable at the head unit.
At $13 + s/h, it's a bit pricey, but I searched around for quite some time and managed to find this 3.5mm right angle cable (1m)

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cg...item=SP-SPSC-5
Old 05-31-2007, 08:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Foley
At $13 + s/h, it's a bit pricey, but I searched around for quite some time and managed to find this 3.5mm right angle cable (1m)

Hey Foley, good find and good to finally see you make a post. You have opened the flood gates now. Life is over as you know it!
Old 05-31-2007, 09:57 AM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Foley

radio shack sells a right angle adapter for about $3. works just as well.

Quick Reply: iPod installed in center console Step-by- Step