Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

iPod Center Console Box Mod

Old 02-23-2008, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod Center Console Box Mod

I saw this done on here months ago, so thought I would document my install on this. Thanks to Jeephrog for the original idea. Mine is a little different I have a Pioneer AVIC D-3 with iPod intergration. When I had it installed, they ran the iPod cable into my glovebox... my hand was always getting tangled in the wire mostly at night. Anyway I decided to take what I learned on this board and move it into the center console box... here we go

First I took the box out... this took a little gentle persuasion I also removed the storage box top just so it would not get scrached up or knocked out of shape during the next few steps... Also helps not having it in the way when you are putting the storage box back in.

I did this by removing the 4 screws on each side of the console plus one bigger screw below that.

Here is a look of the console box out.

Next I cut out a slot for the iPod plug to be pulled through. I used a dremel and cut out a little at a time until I got the right size slot.

After that looked good, I snaked the iPod cable that is attached to the back of my head unit under the side of the center console to inside the space of the removed box. Because I had removed those two bigger screws at the bottom of each side of the console, I was able to lift it up enough to get the cable under a good couple inches.

Next I ran the cable up through the slot I had cut, but was nervous of possibly losing my cable inside the assembled box... That would be a mess and a lot of work just to retrieve it. So I made a little cable lock out of a little piece of plastic.

Then cliped my cable in and reinstalled the box... This took a few minutes to put back in. After some more gentle persuasion, it fell into place.

Last but not least add some velcro to hold it in place and plug it in.

And Action!

Last edited by Riprock; 02-23-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:49 AM
JK Super Freak

nice job looks really good. did you finish running the cable under the carpet / consol? looks like its poking out in the picks
Old 02-24-2008, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by [N]UGE
nice job looks really good. did you finish running the cable under the carpet / consol? looks like its poking out in the picks
Oh yeah.... Once I put the iPod in place, I pulled back a little slack, so I zipped tied and tucked it up under the console.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent writeup!
Old 09-02-2009, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great write up man!!! Looks great!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

nice work