Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

IPF Headlight Quick Fix

Old 01-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pardon the ignorance of my question, but my kit hasn't arrived yet and with this ice storm in central Oklahoma it may be a few days. Does replacing the harness a few weeks/months from now entail removing the grill? I ask because that is not an easy fix for me--I have to pull the bumper and winch. If so, I will just wait for the correct harness before I do the initial install--I don't want to have to pull the bumper and grill twice, and I've lived with the sucky stock lights for two years now, so a few more weeks/months is no big deal.
Mark,

I have the AEV Front bumper on one of our Jeeps and did not have to remove the grill all the way so you should be good .

David
Old 01-28-2010, 02:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Received the Kit yesterday but with the temp at 18 degrees, I'm going to wait awhile. Thinking of breaking out my "Dremel" it may do a little better job of modifying the connects.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

sorry for the dumb question but for an 07 you need to cut/ trim both sides of the plug right????
Old 01-30-2010, 07:42 AM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
Mark,

I have the AEV Front bumper on one of our Jeeps and did not have to remove the grill all the way so you should be good .

David
Installed on my '08 with AEV bumper. Didn't have to completely remove the grill but be very careful with the screws that hold the retaining rings. I had one get away from me and it disappeared "down there". BTW, I just tapered the tabs on the plugs with a utility knife and everything snapped together. The tabs seem to be a little too thick and don't line up with the slots in the back of the connectors. They were hitting corner-to-corner. Shave the inside corners and you're golden.

Last edited by CJK; 01-30-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKRINGO
Received the Kit yesterday but with the temp at 18 degrees, I'm going to wait awhile. Thinking of breaking out my "Dremel" it may do a little better job of modifying the connects.
It was 25 and snowing i was done in 25 minutes just do it you will wonder how you ever drove at night before
Old 01-30-2010, 01:18 PM
JK Freak

Just finished installing the new IPF headlights and they are looking good.

Couple of lessons learned:

Having an aftermarket bumper, winch and lights on the bumper means I could not get the grill all the way off without stripping all the above mentioned gear off first. I could pull the grill just barely far enough back to get a torq bit in to remove the light housings. Had I pulled the grill all the way off this mod would have taken 30 mins start to finish, instead it took at least 3x that.

When I cut vertically on the IPF wiring harness with a set of cutters much like David has in his write up, the connector housing cracked into two pieces. I carefully glued it back together and used a Dremel with a cut off wheel to finish cutting down the housing. The Dremel allows for a more controlled mod of the connector than a cutter.

Dropping a small black #15 torq bit and hearing it clang around under the hood but not hit the ground is bad feeling. I searched engine compartment, skids and ground for 10-15 minutes before I found it inside my passenger side Rubi wheel.

Can't wait to check out the new lights after dark.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Just did this on my lights, quick and simple..

I even got to use my new side cutters I got for Christmas
Old 02-02-2010, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just installed mine, got em today

30 degrees out, install went very smooth.
I adjusted lights again as I think I had them adjusted low post lift.
Have to see if I get flashed at all.

THANK YOU DAVID!
Old 02-03-2010, 01:09 PM
JK Freak

Okay I'm in, I'm good and these are WAY better. Just a couple notes, 1) I had a Hell of a time getting the old bulbs disconnected (actually had to pry them out slightly cracking my green connect ) 2) Could they possibly have used smaller screws to hold in the rings! I mean WTF a 15 Torx!! 3) Use a "Dremmel "if you have to trim the connects. All in all about a half hour to install and what a difference.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Did. You have the red tab released?

Quick Reply: IPF Headlight Quick Fix