Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

IPF Headlight Quick Fix

Old 01-26-2010, 10:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 09 and I had the same issue.

I did not see this post before I installed the lights, but I fixed the problem a slightly different way. I cut about a millimeter off the back of the center triangle piece. Thats all it took and the harnesses locked together.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My recomendation since I tried this today, cut horixontally before the vertical. I am not sure if it was because my plastic was cold and more brittle or what, but when I tried cutting vertically first it cracked and isn't seating firmly. Since I know that we can get the replacements I tried it horizontally first, then vertically and it was good. Seems weird that something as small as that would make a difference.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:40 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Littlejon
My recomendation since I tried this today, cut horixontally before the vertical. I am not sure if it was because my plastic was cold and more brittle or what, but when I tried cutting vertically first it cracked and isn't seating firmly. Since I know that we can get the replacements I tried it horizontally first, then vertically and it was good. Seems weird that something as small as that would make a difference.
I ended up using zip ties to secure the lights, and they seem to be holding the pigtail into the stock end quite nicely. I went for a drive and didn't see any flickering that would indicate the connection itself is loose.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by remark
I have an 09 and I had the same issue.

I did not see this post before I installed the lights, but I fixed the problem a slightly different way. I cut about a millimeter off the back of the center triangle piece. Thats all it took and the harnesses locked together.
I did exactly this with my 09 as well, would not click and lock in until i cut a tiny bit off the length of the center piece.
Piece of cake though and the lights are great.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

so it that what the real problem is the little piecein the middle or the edges like everyone else is saying?
Old 01-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so it that what the real problem is the little piecein the middle or the edges like everyone else is saying?
on the 07 and 08 it is the edges and on the 09 and 10 like some have pointed out clip a tiny amount off the triangle in the middle and it will "click" in.

David
Old 01-28-2010, 11:34 AM
JK Freak

Default Props to David!

David - You continue to out do yourself. Yes, there is a small issue connecting the IPF lights to the factory harness but so what, its easy to fix and you are way out in front of the issue with a write up, a timely response to questions and several solutions to make sure everyone is satisfied. Again you exceed my high expectations. There is no question in my mind that if there is an issue with any product or service you provide you will do everything in your power to make it right.

Looking forward to installing the new IPF lights that you sent me.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Pardon the ignorance of my question, but my kit hasn't arrived yet and with this ice storm in central Oklahoma it may be a few days. Does replacing the harness a few weeks/months from now entail removing the grill? I ask because that is not an easy fix for me--I have to pull the bumper and winch. If so, I will just wait for the correct harness before I do the initial install--I don't want to have to pull the bumper and grill twice, and I've lived with the sucky stock lights for two years now, so a few more weeks/months is no big deal.

BTW, David: Thanks for staying right on top of this. You continue to spoil us with stellar service.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Pardon the ignorance of my question, but my kit hasn't arrived yet and with this ice storm in central Oklahoma it may be a few days. Does replacing the harness a few weeks/months from now entail removing the grill? I ask because that is not an easy fix for me--I have to pull the bumper and winch. If so, I will just wait for the correct harness before I do the initial install--I don't want to have to pull the bumper and grill twice, and I've lived with the sucky stock lights for two years now, so a few more weeks/months is no big deal.

BTW, David: Thanks for staying right on top of this. You continue to spoil us with stellar service.
Mark, you will have to access the light housing rings. My guess is you will have to displace the grill at least enough to get at those rings. There are photos at
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/ipf-h4-headlight-install-116143/
Old 01-28-2010, 12:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron

It does require removing the headlight to gain access to change the harness. If you can gain enough clearance by undoing the grille and bending it back to get a torx bit back there so you can remove the silver retaining ring then the rest can come out of the hole in the grill. Since you have a powerplant I am not sure how well this woudl work, but it did work with the AEV bumper.

Quick Reply: IPF Headlight Quick Fix