Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Installing ¾” Leveling Kit, Hella 500FFs and Custom Reverse Lights

Old 02-03-2009, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by troyboy
Those reverse lights are sweet! I gotta try that
It's made a huge difference - especially when the weather is bad. Since they are 55w driving lights (I flipped the lens over to maintain the proper throw) they make seeing behind you really easy. The added bonus of the switch means pesky tailgaters get a warning before I throw on the brakes.

It really wasn't that hard of a mod - just took some time for the wiring.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

really like the back up lights, I do alot of camping and those would help during set up.

Have you always been afraid of the dark or is this a new phobia for you??
Old 02-03-2009, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dkingjk
really like the back up lights, I do alot of camping and those would help during set up.

Have you always been afraid of the dark or is this a new phobia for you??
LOL - Not afraid of the dark, afraid of hitting someone in the parking lot! I went from a 99 TJ to a 2007 JK Unlimited, it took some getting used to parking/backing the bigger rig and the first thing I noticed (maybe becasue of the tinted back windows) was how dark it was behind me.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice write up and pictures! These are among the mods I will be doing to my '07 Unlimited as soon as it gets warmer outside, so your timing is perfect. Your clear write-up and pictures are sure to save me time and mistakes and frustration, so thanks in advance!
Old 02-04-2009, 05:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very good write up, also very clean job on the installs!!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

i love the reverse lights in the rear bumper. the stock reverse lights SUCK.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TurkeyFreer
LOL - Not afraid of the dark, afraid of hitting someone in the parking lot! I went from a 99 TJ to a 2007 JK Unlimited, it took some getting used to parking/backing the bigger rig and the first thing I noticed (maybe becasue of the tinted back windows) was how dark it was behind me.
I know the feeling, man! I just went from a 99 TJ to a 2008 Unlimited. It feels like you're driving a bus, especially when backing up. I'm shocked by how awful and dim the backup lights are. I'm going to do this mod as well, I'd just like to find the smallest (yet brightest) lights possible. I LOVE the switch option too!
Old 02-10-2009, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

Was the 3/4" kit enought to give it an even stance front and back?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you for the detailed write up on the backup lights! Until I got into the project myself I didn't realize you pulled the lights out of their original cases and there was no need to bolt them to the steel bumper behind the plastic one. I was like "why are his lights oval on the ends?" then I understood the reason for making a cardboard template.

I've detailed some of my install and also took a pic of the finished product. My photos are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/webcomp...7613495112721/
Old 02-10-2009, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by john_w
Thank you for the detailed write up on the backup lights! Until I got into the project myself I didn't realize you pulled the lights out of their original cases and there was no need to bolt them to the steel bumper behind the plastic one. I was like "why are his lights oval on the ends?" then I understood the reason for making a cardboard template.

I've detailed some of my install and also took a pic of the finished product. My photos are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/webcomp...7613495112721/
Thanks for the note - I didn't even think to make it clear that I removed the lights from their original housing. I'll have to check out your pictures when I get home!

Quick Reply: Installing ¾” Leveling Kit, Hella 500FFs and Custom Reverse Lights