Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

How to Fold Your Windshield

Old 09-14-2008, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. That seems like a lot of trouble to get a smile full of bugs. Good to know that if my life depended on it.....and I had 20 minutes.....and the tools.....and I had to pry the windshield down.....I could....
Old 09-16-2008, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

i did it on my tj, took like 15 min the first time, only had enough time to drive down the street and to a friends house to pick em up really quick, got dark and so i put it back up and together because i leave it outside at night and I'm paranoid.
i just noticed i get a little leak from under my glove box now in HEAVY rain, but I'm not worried. I'm taking it back off this weekend and ima see if i can figer it out.

2 more questions,
where can i find if its illegal or not in my city/state? jus call the police station i assume?
the roll bar that attach's to the windshield, is it bad just to leave em off? i wanted to in the summer but i heard it was bad if i did?

oh heres a pic

yeah my friends came over. we all have tjs LOL, theres 2 more that are not in the pic

Last edited by jblankster; 09-16-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:19 PM
JK Freak

I wanted to do this and I plan on it at some point, but im going to have to block out some major time to do it.

On this topic a buddy of mine has been wheeling for over 20 years and he has only had the windshield down once for about 5 minutes. It was his first jeep when he was a teenager and he made it to the end of the street and got hit in the forehead with a june bug or something.....that was the end of that hahaha

I thought i would share.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump for a superb writeup.

Oh but what was that part about electricals? How can you screw that up by removing bolts?
Old 09-21-2008, 07:29 PM
JK Junkie

Great write-up! The video is a good touch
Old 09-29-2008, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
Bump for a superb writeup.

Oh but what was that part about electricals? How can you screw that up by removing bolts?
yea i'd been working all day and i was tired as shite. it's not removing bolts its the leaks that may develope from folding it. i still haven't had any problems. my doors leak but that has notta to do w/ the windshield. so far this year i've been driving in 2 major storms whne we were seeing hurracane or heavy tropical weather. no problem from the windshield.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for taking the time to create the video. I will definitely NOT be doing this!!
Old 09-29-2008, 06:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have had like 10 straight days of nice weather and I keep wanting to put it down but you know I keep putting it off. Somday when I get a minute. My life is a busy mess right now. I have my doors and top off all the time and barely a drop of water has entered the Jeep. No probs here. Read my write up of what to do when you leave your jeep in the rain then drive it home in the rain. I have pics here (search) showing 2 inches of water in all the floor pans.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

i know all about rain in the jeep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhc8DFldEbc
Old 02-27-2009, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm inspired, doesn't look like that much trouble once it's done the first time espeially if you left out the sports bars with a bikini top and halfdoors. What happens if you leave off the plates off covering the hinges? Water leaks, not strong enough without the sports bars I suspect or just looks ugly?
Better yet, to stop the windscreen bounce, how much more effort just to remove the windscreen all together? 2-4 more bolts?
I suppose one thing that seems to suck a bit is where for you store all these bits you have to take off, I would be a tad worried leaving my doors off at camp to find them no longer there when I got back 4 hours later, how does your insurance handle that as a claim?
"Umm, I just got up to go to work and all 4 doors were gone"

Last edited by Brisnut; 02-28-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Quick Reply: How to Fold Your Windshield