Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

How to Fold Your Windshield

Old 09-07-2008, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Frog Rubicon
I drove about 20 km off-road with the windshield down, and there is a problem; The windshield is too heavy for the metal gage (thickness) of the hood. I won't do that again
Maybe you didn't cinch it tight enough?

Originally Posted by ResQGrnRubi
looks like a major loss of vision to me, why did they even leave the option in?
Here's why:

Last edited by Dubya; 09-07-2008 at 07:03 PM. Reason: added a pic
Old 09-08-2008, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

They need to come out with an aftermarket roll cage so this could be a 2-5 min operation. modify the rock hard roll cage.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomzoomjr
1st. Nice video.
2nd. It is really fun. (see pic <--------)
3rd. Once is usually enough for most people...

I left it down for 3 days (I think) when I did it. I will still do it, if I get the time, but it will be more difficult (and time consuming) with my CB whips mounted up there now...
I had mine down for 3 minutes. It was great! See # 3.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cool video.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was thinking about this the other day and the only reason I could think of to do it would be if you were at a drive-in.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frog Rubicon
I drove about 20 km off-road with the windshield down, and there is a problem; The windshield is too heavy for the metal gage (thickness) of the hood. I won't do that again
This is a good point. If the hood has trouble supporting it, bouncing around a lot off road is probably a bad idea. I like the drive-in movie idea though, what a great way to see a movie =D
Old 09-08-2008, 12:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sQuid
I like to put the shield down while at the drive-in movies for a clear view but other than that it is too much of a pain. In my TJ I could lower the windshield in about 3 minutes.
Great idea - "But " - she would finish my Popcorn and beverage(s) by the time I put the window down. Same with my '81 CJ - 2 screw handles.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

While my JK is much more complicated than my CJ the creature comforts are worthy the PITA features. I haven't dropped the windshield on the JK yet but I still have the CJ for that. In warm weather the windshield down on road or off road is standard for me as long as I'm driving under 35 MPH. Never had a problem with cops either as long as I was buckled up. Also highly recommended for the drive-in.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:09 AM
JK Freak

Talking

Originally Posted by vgullotta
This is a good point. If the hood has trouble supporting it, bouncing around a lot off road is probably a bad idea. I like the drive-in movie idea though, what a great way to see a movie =D
It doesn't bounce. The hood has no problem supporting it. I wheel mine with the sheild down 3-4x per week and have no problems. The guy who reported the issue must not have had his cinch strap tight enough.

It's an awesome cinfiguration off road, but not too much fun at any speed over 20 mph IMHO (you can't really even hear the radio).

And yeppers- its AWESOME at the drive-in! I tried takin a pic Saturday during Tropic Thunder but no dice. This weekend I will snap one before it gets too dark.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, I wish I could wheel 3-4 times a week

Quick Reply: How to Fold Your Windshield