Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Hood Lift Fix that worked for me!

Old 03-20-2008, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did any of you guys who put the buckle on the inside get any paint rubbing? Just curious.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:00 PM
JK Junkie

just do the rubber hose hood lift mod.mine has been no issue ever since i did it. crazy winds here at times too.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Zip-Tied mine yesterday after driving 1.5 hours into the wind watching the hood lift (not fun). Drove back, and all is good. THANKS!!!

I ran mine so that the "buckle" does not show... here's a pic:

Old 03-27-2008, 08:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Question

Originally Posted by neoxxis
Looks like Daystar jumped on the problem...

http://www.ok4wd.com/index.php/catal...p_wrangler_jk/

Not bad for 25$... But a zip tie does exactly the same job...
Has anyone tried these yet?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Super Freak

No need. Save your money. BullsJK gave me a couple of black tie wraps to put around the rubber hood closer. I never saw the hood budge on the way back from Llano, even though we had some wind.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default hjk

and as always miller light always helps invent
Old 04-02-2008, 01:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone contact Chrysler about this? Personally, I don't see the hood "popping" off...I only see the thin sheet metal of the hood "vibrating" (for lack of a better word) from cross wind buffeting...I don't see how the hood would suddenly open, unless the hood latches were ripped off by some bizarre force...and I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dustoff68- Yes, Chrysler does know about this but doesn't seem to care. If you go in and tell a dealer they will probably say,: "This is the first we have heard about it."

The dogbone rubber strap stretches enough that it will allow the hood to lift all the way to the safety catch on my Jeep under certain conditions. No I don't think my hood is going to fly off. The lift I have experienced on my Jeep is annoying and terrifying for passengers who see it for themselves.

If yours is not doing it I guess you have nothing to worry about. If later down the road you see yours getting worse than just vibrating then you now know a simple easy fix.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been only driving my 08 Jeep for a few days now, and I have to say I was very alarmed by all the hood movement when oncoming semis pass me.
I even stopped to double check that the thing was latched at all cause it seemed that it was almost hitting the safety catch.
I think I'll have to do this mod before I leave work today.
Great forum BTW...

chuck
Old 04-03-2008, 12:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chucktuna
I've been only driving my 08 Jeep for a few days now, and I have to say I was very alarmed by all the hood movement when oncoming semis pass me.
I even stopped to double check that the thing was latched at all cause it seemed that it was almost hitting the safety catch.
I think I'll have to do this mod before I leave work today.
Great forum BTW...

chuck
I have a couple of very heavy tywrap that are used to hold phone cable splice cases to the sides of man holes that will be going on this weekend.

I will make sure next time down IL3 to at any Black JKs coming in from Smithton, welcome to the fourm.

Quick Reply: Hood Lift Fix that worked for me!