Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Hood lift fix

Old 10-24-2007, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the hose trick...., but meeting semi's on windy days STILL popped the hood. So, I pulled the hose out, but left the spring off. Surely, someone will make a heavier version of the strap, sooner, or later. In the meantime, I'll be thinking of a cheap, easy, and reversible way to increase the pressure on the buckles/rubber straps.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:00 AM
JK Jedi

Going to pull the spring and see how that works out. Already had several scary hood lift occurances in high wind, with winter coming it will only be more common.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:00 AM
JK Newbie

Default A Jeep, is a Jeep, is a Jeep

Jeep hoods lifting on the freeway? Must be a JK thing. Oh wait, I seem to recall as a younger lad, buying a '79 CJ-5 Renegade w/ a hardtop (portion over driver and passenger removable) for a bank breaking $2200. (yes, I'm telling a story; but stick with me I have a point) I drove it to my father's house 6hrs away. A water pump, new tailpipe, a few sheets of fiberglass, a couple gallons of bondo, and a couple pints o' Rustoleum paint; she was lookin' GOOD. While driving back home to prepare for a drive from Alaska to Idaho, (Paint still curing) I crossed paths with a fast moving semi in the opposing lane. The hood lifted, shook, then the hood latches failed (because I forgot to latch them ), and the secondary latch was apparently worthless at the speed I was going . That's when the entire hood (in slow motion) swung open, crashing into the top of the windshield blocking my entire view in the forward direction. A large hammer, more bondo, and a spray can of rustoleum later it was good as; uh, new.
Moral of the story. It's a Jeep thing!
Old 11-06-2007, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmerc
I did the hose trick...., but meeting semi's on windy days STILL popped the hood. So, I pulled the hose out, but left the spring off. Surely, someone will make a heavier version of the strap, sooner, or later. In the meantime, I'll be thinking of a cheap, easy, and reversible way to increase the pressure on the buckles/rubber straps.

FINALLY got mine fixed....guaranteed! I simply strung zip ties thru' the latches. see here: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/hood-popping-fix-19486/
Old 11-14-2007, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

I'd just like to say that I did the remove the hood spring thing last weekend and it has been rock solid. No lift at all. Best mod ever. Only requires 25 seconds and a T-20 driver. GREAT IDEA CLACKEY!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default hood lift

i had mine upto 170km/h just over 100
Old 12-31-2007, 01:48 PM
wgr
JK Enthusiast

me too joining remove spring corps and it really seems to work !
Old 01-05-2008, 05:36 AM
JK Newbie

Default hood lift

I tried the hose and it did very little to alleviate the problem. Not worth the time IMO. My hood still lifts just as much as before. May try the spring and see what happens.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:34 AM
JK Super Freak

would having a hood lock help prevent the hood from lifting? I installed one on mine a few weeks ago, and the hood still moves around a little but I figure there's not much of a chance of it actually opening with it locked....I can barely get it open when I WANT to, so maybe this is good enough?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_)
As many of you I was having issues with my hood lifting up and down at higher speeds. The following is my fix to the problem.

The problem the way I see it is the seal on top of the grille. It is allowing air to pass between the hood and the grille.

My fix is to glue a 3' piece of 1/2" black rubber hose to the back of the existing oe seal to keep air from passing through.

I first placed a large bead of weatherstrip sealer behind the oe seal along the bottom corner.
I then taped the rubber hood in place until it dried.

This solved my hood lift issues. However at about 98mph or if I hit a big head wind going about 90 my hood would still twitch a little. Mind you it would not lift just twitched. It bugged me so, I also removed the hood spring located next to the safety catch at the front of the hood.

Solid as a rock it does not move at all!!!
Total time 5 minutes. (not including sealer dry time.)
Bonus: Grille mod friendly.
I have a question: I have not noticed any movement on my hood. When you say "hood lifts up" do you mean it just rattles and bops up and down? or, does it actually break free and smash up against the windshield?

How big a problem is this?

Quick Reply: Hood lift fix