Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Hood lift fix

Old 08-24-2007, 08:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by byucoug
We just took the spring out and I had no hood lift at 80 mph. Thanks for the help
Did you just remove the spring and not put in the tubing?
Old 08-24-2007, 09:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ThinkMud
Did you just remove the spring and not put in the tubing?
On BYUCOUG's JK we only removed the spring. It has significant less lift. He did tell me the other day that still gets a little lift every once in a while. I might add He drives my a little old lady and not the one from "Pasadena". I on the other hand drive it like I stole it and I did the spring and the tube. NO LIFT! EVER!!
Old 08-24-2007, 09:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Cool, I'm planning on doing the tube and removing the spring tomorrow, also planning on making an air intake tomorrow too... should be fun... it's budget mod time
Old 08-24-2007, 10:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ThinkMud
Cool, I'm planning on doing the tube and removing the spring tomorrow, also planning on making an air intake tomorrow too... should be fun... it's budget mod time
Cool. Take pics. When you're done jump on the highway, crank it up to 95 and report the results.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_)
Cool. Take pics. When you're done jump on the highway, crank it up to 95 and report the results.
I have stock 3.21 gears 6 speed... with 33"s I have never seen 95:sad:
Old 08-25-2007, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

I had crazy lift going on too until I put on the bug deflector. Now it doesn't budge!
Old 09-15-2007, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

I noticed the hood lift in my wife's JK yesterday. My JK doesn't do it and I've had the speedo so far that it wouldn't go any farther. When I popped the hood on my wife's I noticed she doesn't have a hood liner like mine does. Apparently, it was hit or miss in 2007 if you got one. The new 08s I saw on the lot didn't have them.

The hood liner is available from the dealer for A little over $100.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ruralghetto
I beg my jeep to get to 75, I dont see how you guys are reaching 85+. Perhaps it is my Central TX headwinds, but im scared of being blown off the road at 72ish. When I saw the white flex of the rubberbands and my safety latch catch at 77ish I have forever slowed down and just enjoy the ride. Of course with the BFG MTs on I cant hear myself think, which is significantly helping with the soft top noise

Heh, just for G&G's I ran it up a bit yesterday, hit a solid 100 then slowed down, it is not fully broken in yet. Previous high was 90 but I just had to peg it once. I was running my hardtop and had my wife in it too.

Now I'm going to really have to watch the hood, I have seen some hood flex but figured it was just thin metal.

An air dam by the radiator can create a negative pressure in the engine compartment and "suck" the hood down. Will also help with any heat problems at speed.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Default Hood lift cured

I was relieved to finally cross this article that suggests a fix for my hood consistently bobbing up and down on the highway. After reading replies to the thread....about either removing the spring and/or adding the rubber strip, I was curious as to which idea would cure the hood lifting problem...or if both ideas were needed for my particular Jeep (2007 Wrangler X). With a 2000 mile road trip coming up, what a perfect time for experimenting.

Before my trip, I visited Lowes and bought the rubber hose and glue (about $10 total). I tossed them in the back of my Jeep in order to install sometime on my trip if the spring idea didn’t work out.

I decided to try the easier of the two ideas first. I removed the spring at the start of the trip. I crossed very high winds on my adventure. I even passed through a valley where hundreds of huge windmills spin in order to generate electricity. The valley is known for extremely high winds. The last time I drove my Jeep through the same valley, my hood consistently bobbed up and down for about 30 minutes of the drive. Talk about a freaky 1/2 hour.

My hood only lifted once (that I saw) on my entire 2000 mile trip by simply removing the spring. I still have the rubber hose and glue in the back of the Jeep ready for me to install at a moments notice if needed. However, so far, I am comfortable with the 99.9% reduction in lift simply by removing my hood spring.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Yeah I had both for a little while, then the glue on the hose started to "unstick" so, I just took the hose out, and left it with the spring removed, and no hook lift at all, and i've been on a lot of road trips in the last few weeks.

so I would recommend just remove the spring and be done with it. that hose could do some damage if it got loose and ended up in the radiator fan or something.

Quick Reply: Hood lift fix