Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Hood lift fix

Old 04-26-2007, 12:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hood lift fix

As many of you I was having issues with my hood lifting up and down at higher speeds. The following is my fix to the problem.

The problem the way I see it is the seal on top of the grille. It is allowing air to pass between the hood and the grille.
[IMG][/IMG]

My fix is to glue a 3' piece of 1/2" black rubber hose to the back of the existing oe seal to keep air from passing through.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I first placed a large bead of weatherstrip sealer behind the oe seal along the bottom corner.
I then taped the rubber hood in place until it dried.
[IMG][/IMG]

This solved my hood lift issues. However at about 98mph or if I hit a big head wind going about 90 my hood would still twitch a little. Mind you it would not lift just twitched. It bugged me so, I also removed the hood spring located next to the safety catch at the front of the hood.
[IMG][/IMG]

Solid as a rock it does not move at all!!!
Total time 5 minutes. (not including sealer dry time.)
Bonus: Grille mod friendly.

Last edited by CLACKEY(_!_); 06-22-2007 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you may live on the steepest hill I have ever seen!

(kidding aside, I do so love how "jeepers" take matters into their own hands for stuff like this.....). This forum is fantastic.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He lives near the autobaun!
Old 04-26-2007, 02:10 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rubimon
He lives near the autobaun!
aka INTERSTATE 15
Old 04-26-2007, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I will definately be doing this fix this weekend. My hood drives me insane.......Thank you CLACKEY.......true pioneer.

One question: I noticed that area gets pretty hot (my JK is black), will that super adhesive withstand the high temperture without melting off?
Old 04-26-2007, 03:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Colonel Angus
I will definately be doing this fix this weekend. My hood drives me insane.......Thank you CLACKEY.......true pioneer.

One question: I noticed that area gets pretty hot (my JK is black), will that super adhesive withstand the high temperture without melting off?
I am not the pioneer of this. I read this some time back and got the idea from jameswharton Senior Member who did it first. I went back and found the thread. I see he used a smaller hose then I did. He used a 1/4" where I used the 1/2". To each there own. Either way it appears to work.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:16 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 100dollarman
Thats not all Clackey takes into his own hands

Hey Rubimon- was that funny? I thought so.

Seriously Clackey- great idea- I am gonna do it.
That was a good one! A couple of more outings with me and you just might turn out okay!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

You are correct Clackey, I used a 1/4" on my first (2 door) and then 3/8" on my second (4 door). Great find on the spring, I am testing that on mine as well. We all should send DC a bill Now if I can just get the Freedom top to stop leaking
Jim
Old 04-27-2007, 05:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jameswharton
You are correct Clackey, I used a 1/4" on my first (2 door) and then 3/8" on my second (4 door). Great find on the spring, I am testing that on mine as well. We all should send DC a bill Now if I can just get the Freedom top to stop leaking
Jim
Freedom top has a recall where they replace the gasket. I have not had mine up to hwy speeds more than once or twice and actually did not notice the hood. I will keep this one in mind because I am always raising and lowering the hood to clip on an invertor to run my buisness electronics (long story) and figure the seal will eventually wear down.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:20 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Colonel Angus

I have had no issues with heat at all. Still solid as a rock!

Quick Reply: Hood lift fix