Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Homegrown Cargo Net Tiedown

Old 04-24-2008, 05:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the picture of the net in use? I may have just rethought my plans for a deck cover as well thanks to this.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mobotix
Now if somebody was smart they would manufacture these w/ a tonneau cover for some out-of-sight out-of-mind trunk security. GOOD JOB!!! I would've never thought of that.
I concur... the one I've drawn up (to be made with diamond tread aluminum) probably won't happen, due to the manufacturing costs. Apparently, its cheaper to produce 10-20 than it is to produce 1. Also, metal shops don't want to do the labor for free, jeesh!

Though after looking around alot, for a very similar price, is the Tuffy Security drawer (part # 140). Added bonus, it comes with a drawer!

Still debating on buying a part, or making one.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:00 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Fearney
Homegrown Cargo Net Tiedown

1) 2 x 30" sections of Angle Iron, painted to your liking. (I used Hammered Black)
2) I used some left over weather stripping I had (for freedom top leak) to prevent metal on metal when installed.
3) Used existing hard-top screws to secure it.

This will work great to use a cargo net to hold down all kinds of camping gear. I also installed a D-Ring on driver’s side floorboard.

I will pick up a cargo net later this week and will upload some pictures showing it in use as I am going camping this weekend.

Looks good. Here are some photos of the cargo tie downs Tuffy is manufacturing to go on top of any of the Tuffy boxes. We rounded all the corners to prevent sharp edges and powdercoated the pieces black. There are two options:

1.) the full length option to maximize flexibility in attachment points.

Here is a closeup:

2.) the option of 4 smaller attachment points that can be mounted wherever desired

Last edited by tuffy2; 04-24-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Talking Finally Got to Go Camping! Here is a Pic!

I finally got to go camping, had a blast. We were running late so I was only able to get one picture. It was much more organized on the way back, someone had shown up late and we had to toss their stuff on the top, but it worked like a champ!

Old 05-06-2008, 02:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Fearney
I finally got to go camping, had a blast. We were running late so I was only able to get one picture. It was much more organized on the way back, someone had shown up late and we had to toss their stuff on the top, but it worked like a champ!

That looks a lot like what we would be going with when camping. I think I am going to use your idea and the wooden deck cover/security box idea together if I ever get caught up on non-jeep things I have to do.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Be sure to post mods you have made to this idea! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Homegrown Cargo Net Tiedown