Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Herculining gotchas for JK Unlimited with pics

Old 06-22-2008, 03:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leave the seats in

has anyone thought about, or even tried, doing this without removing the seats?
whats the mess factor.

i dont really have the energy to try and strip my seats out, unless absolutely necessary.

the deciding factor for me to do this mod.... saturday i was taking a doors off, roof off ride when... to my surprise... the carpeting over the passenger side rear wheel well went FLYING off into traffic!!!

i need to do something to protect my tub and not have to fetch carpeting from 55mph traffic!!!!

back to the original question.... can it be done without removing the seats?
Old 06-22-2008, 04:07 PM
JK Newbie

I would say it is possible as long as you are careful to keep the brush or roller away from the seats. If you really only want protection in areas where your feet will sit is possible. I liked the idea of getting my seats out of there to keep paint off of them and make it easier to remove other parts (ie: plastic side panels and lifting the console. I had it kind of easy to pull them out because when the breaker bar wouldn't work I used and impact wrench and those bolts came right out. Heck, throw a big garbage bag over each of the seats and tape of the framing and it will work. Like I said before though, don't get this stuff on the seats unless you are trying to re-decorate them.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

im really looking for protection in the "trunk" and foot well areas. i like the open top and no doors driving, but hate the wet carpets and has anyone else noticed that the little "security hatch" never seems to drain or dry out? (and YES i pulled the plug under there) so i took the carpets out yesterday, just dont like leaving all that bare metal exposed

maybe ill just start in the "trunk" area, see how that goes.......

ill post a progress note when im done (hoping to start tomorrow afternoon)
Old 06-22-2008, 10:33 PM
JK Newbie

There are several that have said they did this in sections so no worries. Just take your time and I'm sure it'll come out just fine. I totally agree as soaking wet carpet put a nail in the door for me.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:55 PM
JK Freak

so i herculined the cargo tub today, left the seats and misc plastic pieces in place.

the biggest problem was some splatter on the plastic cover at the end of the seatbelt and the rubber trim at the rear gate. so far it looks good, the next free day i get ill do the footwells...

so far im happy with it
Old 06-23-2008, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

once its fully cured and dry, you'll be able to peel it off the rubber.

Post pics when you're done!
Old 06-25-2008, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

Default half way done...

so i started yesterday by applying the second coat of herculiner.
monday night i did the cargo area so i applied a second coat there then went down the tub under the rear seats and half way under the front seats. i only stopped because the paint brush i was using started to "set up" with the product and became unusable. so i decided to install my 2" skyjacker budget boost.

back to the herculiner, again the biggest problem was the seat belt boots, but once it cured, it came right off... now if i can get the splatter on my arms to come off!

by the end of the afternoon, i was returning the jack i had borrowed for the lift install, it rolled all over the cargo area and left no marks. this stuff is amazing, a good investment. i cant wait to get the rest of it done
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0241.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	10307  
Old 06-25-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Freak

holy moses this looks awesome! great mod and cost effecient! i'm assuming it's far less expensive to do this than to buy the mopar rubber floor liner. any one care to share the TOTAL cost of this mod? thanks guys!
Old 06-25-2008, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

Well let's see. I'm in the Navy and stationed in Hawaii so that might make my cost a little more. I picked up the Herculiner kit that comes with a one gallon can of the liner, one brush, two rollers, and one scotch brite pad. I cleaned out the inside with a cleaner called TSP. Bought a few packs of Scotch Bright pads, and last was a small can of Xylol with some rags to clean up after scuffing. Let's add that up.
$92 Herculiner Kit after tax and 10% off military discount
$8 TSP
$10 Scotch Brite pads
$12 Xylol
+ $8 Rags
$130

+$13 for a 12 Pack reward of Rolling Rock

It all comes to a total of $130 with the extra fee for my work. Tons cheaper than paying someone else to do it and I am not only happy with it but I'm proud of the result.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:28 PM
JK Freak

i had access to a can of the xylol so that was not factored in to my expense...

$95.99 for the kit
$1.00 for an extra brush from the dollar store

plus local sales tax...

i used only the one scotch brite pad to scuff it, vacuumed the floor the used the blower side of the shop vac to get what was left.

i use the driveway at my grandmother house (i was a shade tree mechanic) as its very shady, so she made me lunch

basically i would plan on $100 and so far its worth it. i run with my carpets out, and transporting that jack yesterday would have ruined my floor.

good luck

Quick Reply: Herculining gotchas for JK Unlimited with pics