Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Help. Squeak In Left Rear Wheel.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help. Squeak In Left Rear Wheel.

I bought a 2009 JK Wrangler X, 2 dr, with 22000 miles on it. It is stock but looks to have been off road a bit. The left rear wheel was making a squeaking sound. I put new brakes all around, and also noticed I'd failed to see 2 studs were broken off on that particular wheel, so I replaced those. The squeak was less noticeable, but still there, especially when steering to the right. I bought a new rotor and installed that, but still have the same squeak. Anyone had this happen?? Think it's the bearing?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

My noise from left was fixed by greasing brake clips and new pads. But that might not be your case. Good luck...
Old 10-22-2012, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I may have found the answer.

Google search helped me. Apparently this is a very common problem. I think I have a bent axle shaft. There is a video of the exact noise mine makes on another forum.

http://www.*******s.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46589
Old 10-22-2012, 06:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably a bent flange. It happened to me and is very common particularly on the driver side for some reason. Do yourself a favour and upgrade to some chromo shafts. You can get both sides with bearing and tone ring pressed on from Northridge for the price of one side from the dealer.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did that Biggy. I've got a set of chrome moly shafts with everything pressed on on the way for $435.00 from Northridge. They were very helpful and said the shaft is guaranteed for ten years, even if it gets bent again. Pretty good, huh? Thanks, man!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:48 AM
JK Newbie

Not to sure what the flange is but can u fix that by urself by bending it back or is it sumthing u have to replace. Cus i have the same thing and it drives me crazy
Old 10-23-2012, 11:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Monsterjeep07
Not to sure what the flange is but can u fix that by urself by bending it back or is it sumthing u have to replace. Cus i have the same thing and it drives me crazy
Your only choice is to replace. Its the parts your wheel bolts up to. To check for a bent flange
1 make sure your in 2wd
2 jack up rear and put on axle stands
3 remove rear wheels
4 make sure everything is stable
5 start jeep and put in gear
6 watch the rear axle flange as it turns. If its bent you will see it.

Its even better if your remove the rotor. You will be able to see everything much better but probably not necessary although removing rotors will eliminate a bent rotor being the issue.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

It must be ridiculously common. Google squeak in wheel or bent rear axle and see what you find. Tons of stuff. Chrysler should use better parts on a serious off road vehicle. Apparently some people who do little off road driving have the same problem.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Fixed It

I solved my problem. I took that worn out 2009 I bought used and traded it on a 2012.

Quick Reply: Help. Squeak In Left Rear Wheel.