Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Hardtop hoist/storage write-up

Old 04-20-2008, 10:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eracer76
Wow, great minds think alike...
I built pretty much the same hoist system about the same time this write up was posted, with out even seeing it
Very Nice, I like how you can keep your rear window down and that the pulley goes right into the ceiling.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

Default Eye bolt for B-line channel strut

This whole system is just great - thanks to everyone for posting their work! I've picked up most everything to build my own - hardware from HD - winch from Northern Hydraulics - but one part is missing - the eye bolt that makes everything work! I know the first post mentioned having to order this from an electrical supply shop, as it isn't available at HD. Does this eye bolt screw directly into a channel nut? Is there another solution that can be found (without having the shaft of the eye bolt protrude below the channel strut)? Also related to this - obviously the eye bolt/ channel nut is one point where there is maximal stress in the entire system - is a channel nut / eye bolt sufficiently strong as to always be trusted under this stress? Again, thanks very much to everyone for the info here!
Old 04-21-2008, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

I measured 9' 8" from floor to ceiling. As you can see from the pics there is plently of room to drive the front of you jeep under he top. I will barely clear the rear of the jeep.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:02 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dphanson
but one part is missing - the eye bolt that makes everything work! I know the first post mentioned having to order this from an electrical supply shop, as it isn't available at HD. Does this eye bolt screw directly into a channel nut?
The eye bolt can be purchased at HD as well (or any other hardware store). Just have a channel nut handy and make sure it fits with the eye bolt and also make sure the bolt is short enough to not protrude through the bottom of the channel.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:43 PM
JK Freak

Here are my pictures as promised. You'll notice in the first picture that the hoist is unbalanced L to R but is in good shape front to back. Any ideas on what I should do to balance L to R. The only other thing that I'm going to do is to get a longer U-bolt for the back... putting that one on is a little tough.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HG97TJ
The eye bolt can be purchased at HD as well (or any other hardware store). Just have a channel nut handy and make sure it fits with the eye bolt and also make sure the bolt is short enough to not protrude through the bottom of the channel.
Thanks HG97TJ. I hadn't appreciated that a standard eye bolt would thread into the channel nut - back to HD to find one (also already have the square washer for the channel). Following up on the other point, given that the eye bolt is held only by the channel nut, any feelings on the overall strength of this single connection point for the hoist? One option I thought may work is to put two eye bolts/channel nuts in the channel and rig two ropes/cables back through the pulley system just to be safe. This would also remove the need to find a balance point for the single connection.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DTGREY
This was an excellent write up. It only took me a day to build and install since the difficult part of finding the parts was done in this write up. I did do a few things different. I used 1/2" U-Bolts and I also used 2 - 5 lb weight plates as a counter weight. The weights are dropped on a piece of 1" OD pipe that is bolted to the "T". This balances the "T" as it is raised and lowered without the top. I remove the counter weights before I raise the top. I also used the same type channel on the ceiling (not as deep as for the "T") with swing set bolts to hang the top once it has been lifted. Thanks again for the original write up. Your leg worked saved all the time.
very clean setup, nice work.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:36 AM
JK Super Freak

i like the green carpet!
Old 04-24-2008, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobzinger
Here are my pictures as promised. You'll notice in the first picture that the hoist is unbalanced L to R but is in good shape front to back. Any ideas on what I should do to balance L to R.
Loosen the bolts and move the bottom leg of the "T" to one side (the section that holds the back window)...
Old 04-24-2008, 06:20 PM
JK Freak

I'll give that a try...

I am going to get a longer U-bolt for the back. I'm having trouble with that bolt trying to put it in each time...

Quick Reply: Hardtop hoist/storage write-up