Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Hardtop hoist/storage write-up

Old 03-13-2008, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default freedom top storage

We have a '07 Wrangler Sahara 4 door Unlimited with the dual top group...As the weather warms, we are eager to switch to the soft top. Problem is storage. We have extremely limited storage for the Freedom Hardtop and are wondering if anyone has stored their hard top on it's side or back to conserve storage space, without compromising it's structure.
I would absolutely LOVE to develop the pulley/storage system that many of you have rigged but I unfortunately do not have the room at the moment.
Help!
Old 03-15-2008, 05:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice write up ...i will be making this for my garage while my jk is on order as it should be arriving in the summer
Old 03-17-2008, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepchick23
We have a '07 Wrangler Sahara 4 door Unlimited with the dual top group...As the weather warms, we are eager to switch to the soft top. Problem is storage. We have extremely limited storage for the Freedom Hardtop and are wondering if anyone has stored their hard top on it's side or back to conserve storage space, without compromising it's structure.
I would absolutely LOVE to develop the pulley/storage system that many of you have rigged but I unfortunately do not have the room at the moment.
Help!
people on the forum have made dolly - like supports for the hardtop on the back window. Its not a problem for the hardtop. HOSS makes one but is a little pricey in my opinion.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great write up and I like everyone else's versions. But I have one question... how much time did you spend building it? I've been planning on making a similar lift now for a couple of months, just was wondering how much time I need to allot for the project.
thanks
Old 03-17-2008, 03:53 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mountain man
Great write up and I like everyone else's versions. But I have one question... how much time did you spend building it? I've been planning on making a similar lift now for a couple of months, just was wondering how much time I need to allot for the project.
thanks
Hard to say...I built a little bit at a time as I found the parts I needed. I would say you should be able to put it all together and get the top hoisted in a weekend. Some of the longer steps were mounting the double angles up into the ceiling joists. I used 3.5" lags and I remember that being a lot of work. Like I said in the first post it may have been overkill but I feel good about how solid it is. It's a real solid system and you should get years of easy removal and storage for the top so it's worth the effort. Just take your time and do it right, that's a lot of weight hanging overhead
Old 03-17-2008, 05:39 PM
JK Super Freak

i think your smart to always side on overkill with regards to saftey. the last thing you want is for a $4000 top to fall on your jeep. I'm going to build mine this weekend and i think it has cost me about 130 for all the parts. but mines also going to be beefed up and i spent some extra on carpet and things to make it look cleaner in the garage
Old 03-24-2008, 05:59 AM
JK Super Freak

heres my version. Good for the hardtop in the summer and strong enough for many other things in the winter.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can you post up the balance point measurement (probably from the rear hook) as I'm thinking about building one but am thinking about using square tubing and welding it up...
Old 03-24-2008, 11:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bwiencek
Can you post up the balance point measurement (probably from the rear hook) as I'm thinking about building one but am thinking about using square tubing and welding it up...
Sure, but I'm not sure the balance point for my setup will translate to the same balance point on yours if you use different matierial that may weigh more/less than the channel strut.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK went to Home Depot and purchased everything on the list from the original post and the total cost was $250.

Bought the cable hand winch from Harbor Freight for $30.

I not sure how the original post states $150 but I didn't add any extras at all. Only thing I can think of is he might of had some of the bolts and nuts handy. I had to purchase everything.

Quick Reply: Hardtop hoist/storage write-up