Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Hardtop hoist/storage write-up

Old 07-19-2007, 07:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1963Duo
How long are these metal bars that form the T?
Thanks
My initial post in this thread mentions the measurments of the T-bars you will need for the hoist. Feel free to ask questions regarding this build, it's worked out real well for me.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:00 AM
JK Newbie

Thnaks,
I have not had the chance to measure the height of the hard top so i ll know how much clearance i ll have above my head in my garage. Could you give me that measurement as well as the measurement of the lowest part of the set compared to the heigt of the ceiling?
Thanks again
Old 07-20-2007, 06:50 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 1963Duo
Thnaks,
I have not had the chance to measure the height of the hard top so i ll know how much clearance i ll have above my head in my garage. Could you give me that measurement as well as the measurement of the lowest part of the set compared to the heigt of the ceiling?
Thanks again
I have a 10' ceiling and the lowest point of my setup if probably 5'7" off the ground. I know because I'm 5'5" and I can walk under with just a little clearance. Sometimes it nice to be short. I could have probably raised the shelf higher manually by going up 1 chanin link at a time but due to the hoist pulleys etc I couldnt hoist it any higher than I did. You could always gain a few inches by not installing the shelf, I think that's really optional.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you very much , that is what i needed.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

Ok. This is my first post.. Anyway, I purchased the manual Hoist-a-top setup before I found this killer forum. I need some experts to ring in on this. Is this thing really worth the $$ or do I go with a custom one? I have heard of the manual one slipping and that really worrys me.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:54 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DROCK_IN_NC
Ok. This is my first post.. Anyway, I purchased the manual Hoist-a-top setup before I found this killer forum. I need some experts to ring in on this. Is this thing really worth the $$ or do I go with a custom one? I have heard of the manual one slipping and that really worrys me.
Well you can save some money building your own and even build it as good if not better than Lange's. I can tell you if you use the right hand (brake) winch it will not slip. It's what the winch is designed for. (see the inital post for what I used). Good luck.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:41 PM
HEK
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HG97TJ
Well you can save some money building your own and even build it as good if not better than Lange's. I can tell you if you use the right hand (brake) winch it will not slip. It's what the winch is designed for. (see the inital post for what I used). Good luck.
Great set up, I just had my garaged finally wired and will steal your design, with a few alterations as I do not have a ceiling but an open "peak" with a center wall separating both sides.
Thanks for the pic of your ceiling.....
Old 10-08-2007, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

My garage has 12" ceilings so I build my hoist to pull the top above the open garage door.

Thanks for the write up, I did modify it a little for my application, but kept the same basic design, including the shelf.....

Great Thread....

Mike
Old 02-18-2008, 03:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Free Bump. This is too good.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Amazing - very very clever

Quick Reply: Hardtop hoist/storage write-up