Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Hardtop hoist/storage write-up

Old 02-22-2011, 08:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How close to ceiling?

Can anyone give me an idea as to how much space this setup takes from top to bottom, given basically the parts listed in this thread using a manual winch. I want to have the hoist above my garage door and have roughly 3 feet of clearance above the track to the garage door. It looks like the top is about 30 inches tall. I was thinking that the safety shelf could be made thinner out of metal...possibly the channel with a rigid wire panel to hold the front panels.

Thanks,

Bobby
Old 02-23-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

Default Hard Top lift and storage

I used a 12V ATV Winch mounted in the overhead and 4 lines down through the sheet rock with boards and pulleys mounted on the joists above. extended the controller and its hanging on the wall. A small atv battery is up there and a 1 amp battery maintainer. All 4 lines wind up on the drum. Its very easy to get the top off by myself and everyone thinks its the way to go.
I looked at the pic's of the lift with the one line and the three point attachment. Does it tip when you lift it? Needs to be very ballanced. Way eaiser than mine was though. I can try to post some pics if anyone is interested.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:51 PM
JK Newbie

Default Hard Top lift and storage

I used a 12V ATV Winch mounted in the overhead and 4 lines down through the sheet rock with boards and pulleys mounted on the joists above. extended the controller and its hanging on the wall. A small atv battery is up there and a 1 amp battery maintainer. All 4 lines wind up on the drum. Its very easy to get the top off by myself and everyone thinks its the way to go.
I looked at the pic's of the lift with the one line and the three point attachment. Does it tip when you lift it? Needs to be very ballanced. Way eaiser than mine was though. I can try to post some pics if anyone is interested.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by a-dub

I bought one at harbor frt as well but I went with the 2000lb hand winch with the crank lever in front of the unit to allow me to wall mount it without bringing it away from the wall. Additionally you can remove the lever and spin it up with a hand drill and a nut driver. There are some pictures of my set-up in this thread if you are intrested in how it looks. Additionally I only used the cable and hook that came with this without having to use the rope as in the original write up. It cost me $29 because I got in on sale at the store and my buddy bought the same one a month later for the same price. PM me if you have any questions.

Here is the link: http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb...inch-5798.html
I just bought one of these winches today. I didn't see a brake of any kind. With the weight on, does the worm gear keep it from free spooling if you take your hand off of the crank?

Last edited by Bobby D.; 02-27-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bobby D.
I just bought one of these winches today. I didn't see a brake of any kind. With the weight on, does the worm gear keep it from free spooling if you take your hand off of the crank?
This is the good thing about (most) worm gears. They can only move by driving the worm. The only way it would drop without turning the handle would be if the teeth break (or something else breaks). They're not real great in a lot of machine designs because they're terribly inefficient (~30%) as opposed to other gear types (spur gears ~85-90% efficient). They will do great for a hard top lift, however.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by H315M4N
This is the good thing about (most) worm gears. They can only move by driving the worm. The only way it would drop without turning the handle would be if the teeth break (or something else breaks). They're not real great in a lot of machine designs because they're terribly inefficient (~30%) as opposed to other gear types (spur gears ~85-90% efficient). They will do great for a hard top lift, however.
Thanks for the info. I was looking at Lange's Hoist-a-top with the "crank" option and it is very similar. The guy I spoke to in their customer service said that with thier product, you need about 8 inches of clearance in addition to the height of the top. Can you tell me if the design posted here is less than that? I really want to hang mine above my garage door track. That would mean taking up no more that about 33 inches for the hoist, top, and shelf...Possible?
Old 03-29-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone have any ideas for a rear mount that will allow the rear window to close? I really like this set up, but it would not fit in my garage with the window open. Would a flat hook (like one used on a tie down strap for truck loads) work and allow me to close the rear window? That way I can use the U-bolts on the front two, and the falt hook on the rear.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by A2thaK
Does anyone have any ideas for a rear mount that will allow the rear window to close? I really like this set up, but it would not fit in my garage with the window open. Would a flat hook (like one used on a tie down strap for truck loads) work and allow me to close the rear window? That way I can use the U-bolts on the front two, and the falt hook on the rear.
Instead of the wire hooks you can use a couple of rachet straps. One from the rear to the right side and one from the rear to the left side. Then you can close the door.

In addidtion to the center eye bolt for lifting I got three more eye bolts and connected them to the ends (far enough back that the rachet is on top of the superstrut). The strap then runs down into the superstrut, around the end to the bottom side then under the top. I plan to dip the ends of the superstrut in tool handle plastic to protect the straps from the raw edge of the superstrut. The window closes fine over the ratchet straps.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can i just buy one somewhere?
Old 03-31-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speed2005
can i just buy one somewhere?
This one uses straps.

hxxp://www.hoistlifts.com/jeep.htm

Quick Reply: Hardtop hoist/storage write-up