Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Hardtop hoist/storage write-up

Old 10-14-2010, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Top Storage System

Nice. I know this is an old post but I just came across it. For those who may consider doing this - here is a problem I ran into: I made a similar system but left mine hanging on the pully system instead of a second hanging shelf. Since the pully system and rope were supposed to be good for 1000 lbs it should not have been a problem... However!... everything thing is only as strong as its weakest link. My weak link turned out to be the knot at the end of the rope that ended at one of the blocks in the block and tackle. Purchased on line w/ Northern Tools, the knot was made by the manufaturer and I did not test it or reinforce it. After a month or so of hanging in my garage the knot came loose and the hard top fell! Caught, however, by the extra safety line I added at the last minute for shts and giggles. I got lucky. But a new knot and it has been fine for two seasons now. Love the shelf idea, though. May have to add that. Also like the winch - I had a hard time finding an inexpensive one so I do it by hand. My block and tackle goes around an extra time or two though, so it reduces the effort by a lot. Thanks for the great pictures.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by sevent
Nice. I know this is an old post but I just came across it. For those who may consider doing this - here is a problem I ran into: I made a similar system but left mine hanging on the pully system instead of a second hanging shelf. Since the pully system and rope were supposed to be good for 1000 lbs it should not have been a problem... However!... everything thing is only as strong as its weakest link. My weak link turned out to be the knot at the end of the rope that ended at one of the blocks in the block and tackle. Purchased on line w/ Northern Tools, the knot was made by the manufaturer and I did not test it or reinforce it. After a month or so of hanging in my garage the knot came loose and the hard top fell! Caught, however, by the extra safety line I added at the last minute for shts and giggles. I got lucky. But a new knot and it has been fine for two seasons now. Love the shelf idea, though. May have to add that. Also like the winch - I had a hard time finding an inexpensive one so I do it by hand. My block and tackle goes around an extra time or two though, so it reduces the effort by a lot. Thanks for the great pictures.
exactly why I added a shelf into the build ... good thing you had a backup plan !!!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

that's about what I looked like when I opened the garage door and saw my top hanging by a thread... I found the hand winch you used on line and ordered it. i may slowly modify my rig to get more like yours... thanks
Old 11-27-2010, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

Default hand winch with brake

EDIT: On page 29, Mhelmstetter posted the same question. I don't think anyone responded.

I found this hand winch with pawl brake from harbor freight.
Comes with cable.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...nch-65688.html

1000lb
$25.99

I read this forum through and saw the post about non-vs braking winch. This appears to be a braking winch.

I spoke with a sales rep in one store who claims this can lift vertically and one in another local store that says itis not meant to lift vertical.

From the description it seems as if it is meant for towing.

Does anyone know if this is the correct one or not?

The dealers have them in stock.

Thanks!

Last edited by JK084; 11-27-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK084
I found this hand winch with pawl brake from harbor freight.
Comes with cable.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...nch-65688.html

1000lb
$25.99

I read this forum through and saw the post about non-vs braking winch. This appears to be a braking winch.

I spoke with a sales rep in one store who claims this can lift vertically and one in another local store that says itis not meant to lift vertical.

From the description it seems as if it is meant for towing.

Does anyone know if this is the correct one or not?

The dealers have them in stock.

Thanks!
I bought one at harbor frt as well but I went with the 2000lb hand winch with the crank lever in front of the unit to allow me to wall mount it without bringing it away from the wall. Additionally you can remove the lever and spin it up with a hand drill and a nut driver. There are some pictures of my set-up in this thread if you are intrested in how it looks. Additionally I only used the cable and hook that came with this without having to use the rope as in the original write up. It cost me $29 because I got in on sale at the store and my buddy bought the same one a month later for the same price. PM me if you have any questions.

Here is the link: http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb...inch-5798.html
Old 01-02-2011, 01:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by thom1879
A nice mod to this hardtop hoist is to use 7/64" amsteel line (1,600 lbs rated)instead of rope or cable. It doesn't stretch or twist and every person that has seen it thinks I am using a shoe lace to hold up my top (their reaction)
I was about to post this. I use it on sailboat all the time. Super strong yet very small
Old 02-05-2011, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

Default Great thread

This is great thread, I bought a hoist-a-top lift kit and I used the best practices described in here to make it better. Again leaving the top on the lift isn't very stable and I am not sure if it is good for your hardtop to being hanging on the hooks only. Mine is outside under the carport, I will post pictures soon.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:07 PM
JK Freak

Default Pictures of my epic hardtop lift installation

Thought to contribute to this thread by showing my hardtop lift which I installed in my carport, it is basically a hoist-a-top however as the single point lift doesn't like wind I had to make a base with four chains to secure it, the idea I got from this thread. Any questions just PM me.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-21-2011, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

I wanted to thank you for your detailed write-up. I copied your design and finished mine up yesterday. The hard top is off and safely stored out of harm's way. It couldn't have been easier. To top it off, I then installed the new-to-me soft top I picked up from another member on here. You guys are great!
Old 02-22-2011, 02:28 AM
JK Freak

your garages are bigger than my house.

Quick Reply: Hardtop hoist/storage write-up