Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Hardtop hoist/storage write-up

Old 08-27-2010, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which one ?

Greetings one and all.
Thanks to the o p for a great write up and all others with there great ideas.

I plan on buying one of the ready made hoist set ups..Works out better for me, but would like to know pros and cons on Hoister system or the Racor system from all that have used such systems.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cool Anyone

Originally Posted by wallawallaron
Greetings one and all.
Thanks to the o p for a great write up and all others with there great ideas.

I plan on buying one of the ready made hoist set ups..Works out better for me, but would like to know pros and cons on Hoister system or the Racor system from all that have used such systems.
Thanks in advance.
Try again want to go shopping
Old 08-31-2010, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

Nice write up. I did mine for about $50 by using 2 rachet straps to hold the top and the boat hoist with shackles. I bought everything from Tractor Supply. I'll post pics when I can.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Been meaning to post these pics up for a while and just got around. Thanks to all who contributed and kept improving on an already great write up. My version is a slight variation from the original but basically the same in concept. The ceiling hooks in the picture were already there and were being used for my kids bikes so I went ahead and used them to keep it steady when not in use. Takes me about 15-20 minutes to get the top off or on and I am getting faster with every time. Also if your wondering if I lose a part of the light from that fixture above it I have 5 more in garage so no problem seeing at night.

The winch is from Harbor Frt ($29) and it works great.

Total cost for build was $70

Old 09-07-2010, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info. I love this site
Old 09-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkRenegade
Keep it in the box! But seriously, could you tell me more about your setup? Where the winch is from, pulleys, support, etc?

Also, how did you get the Lange frame to fit across the width of your top? When I assembled mine according to their (poorly written) directions, it came up a few inches short. I can't get the other J-hook under the lip, it's not even close. They tell you to put both arms into the center T until they meet, but if you do this you come up short. I could spread them further apart, but I don't trust that, especially with the tiny screws holding it together. Do have a problem with this?

And yes, I used the matched pair of arms, not the rear arm.
Wow!!! I wish I had read your post before I recently purchased this Lange hoist a top. I have the exact same problems you described. Instructions seemed like they where originally written in Chinese and poorly translated. Pictures in instructions didn't match the parts that actually came with the kit. Finally got it all together and it seems like the flimsiest piece of Chinese crap that I ever owned. Plus, I have the same problem with the hooks being too close together, where I ended up bending them out to be able to secure the J hooks to the sides of my top.

This was my 1st and last Lange product, I will ever purchased. I paid $280 for the hoist and hand crank and feel totally ripped off. The only thing that seems secure about this hoist are the 2x6's I mounted in my rafters which this thing is now suspended by.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by possumface
is your real name Wile E. Coyote
Excellent, I got all that stuff easily avaliable.....i'm thinking, i'm thinking...you got me thinking.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:56 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you so much for the wonderful information. I have the hoist mounted (wife even let me go with electric from Harbor Freight. I was able to make straps work until I can build the frame and then I am definitely adding the shelf.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:02 PM
JK Freak

Very nice, I have the HOSS system, works for me, but this is coooool
Old 10-13-2010, 05:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default cheap and light weight

i mounted winch in ceiling for more height and built lift out of 2x4, angle iron and heavy duty rubber coated hooks( and a few tennis balls )

i have the uni-strut one built as well and actually prefer my wood one cause it is WAY lighter.
I have since removed the blue padding and attached tennis balls at each end to act as "bump stops" to protect the hardtop from scratches
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1685.jpg
Views:	805
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	95359   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1689.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	95360   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1688.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	42.2 KB