Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Hardtop hoist/storage write-up

Old 03-29-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=HG97TJ;1030471]Amazon sells the Dutton Lainson 800lb Brake Winch for < $50.

That's exactly the one I ultimately purchased. I got it from NorthernTool.com for $48.99.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going the hand winch route DO NOT buy the NON BRAKING winch. they are a pain in the butt. I thought I could get by with it and hated it. if your hand slips the money you save goes away fast. I ended up redoing it. I decided to use the 110 volt winch from Haror freight. that is a sweet way to go.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

Great Job!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default width of U-bolts

Originally Posted by HG97TJ
The u-bolt width is in fact 3". The height of the u-bolt is 7.5". Also notice the hook on the right is extended using a threaded coupler and a scrap piece of threaded rod that was cut off one of the other u-bolts. This longer hook is used on the rear of the hardtop. Hope this helps !!!

All I could find were U-bolts with a 4 inch inside width. Any reason why these wouldn't work just as well (based on the roof design or other factors)?
Old 04-01-2009, 11:55 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by uofawildcats
All I could find were U-bolts with a 4 inch inside width. Any reason why these wouldn't work just as well (based on the roof design or other factors)?
They would probably be OK. I would just make sure your hoist bar is wide enough on each side to allow you to move the hook out one hole since the end of the u-bolts come pretty close to the roll bar once in place. (see pic below) Spacing them a little further out on the channel strut may help get around this for a wider u-bolt.

Also - I found my hardware at Tractor Supply as mentinoed in the OP. They have the 3" u bolts on-line too ... http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...g=true&cFlag=1

Old 04-01-2009, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKJosh
I just bought an electric one off ebay for 96 bucks I think. It can lift up to 440 lbs, got it today and will be installing it in the next few days.
Almost done. Got my T bar built, wrapped in pipe insulation, but my U bolts were too short. Going to try to get some tomorrow. To anyone looking for an electric hoist, the one I got off ebay is nice. I sat on tht T bracket and lifted myself up, it didnt even groan. I weigh 200. Nice product.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HG97TJ

I used a two step approach first lifting the top up to my garage ceiling using hoist bar and hand winch. Once the top was up to the ceiling I lowered it onto a suspended wood shelf.

Hoist Parts:
----------------
10' Channel Strut (Home Depot "SuperStrut" or B-Line B22 Channel; see www.b-line.com for catalog) (qty: 1)
5 hole t-gusset plate (see www.b-line.com for catalog, part #B532 - used to join the two pieces of strut to form the "T") (qty: 1)
Channel nuts/bolts (qty: 9)
Channel end caps (qty: 3)
Channel washers (2-holes qty=3)
Channel washers (1-hole qty=1)
1/2" x 3" eye bolt (qty: 1)
brake winch
3/8" nylon rope (50' length)
2" Block and Tackle set (search google for "National 2" Block and Tackle") (qty: 1)
2" swivel pulley (qty: 1)
quick links (qty: 2)
lag screws (qty: 20 or so)
3/8" square U-bolts (3" inside width x 7.5" tall) (qty: 3)
3/8" vinyl tubing (qty: 2 feet)
36" slotted angle (qty: 2)
foam rubber pipe insulation ( 1 - 7' length)
I've got a question about the 1/2" x 3" eye bolt. My channel is only 1.5" deep. The 1/2" x 3" eye bolt appears to protrude through the other side through the padding even when it is fully tightened against the nut. Did you cut the excess portion of the bolt? Would something shorter like a 1/2" x 1 1/2" eye bolt work better?
Old 04-11-2009, 05:22 PM
JK Junkie

I've got a question about the 1/2" x 3" eye bolt. My channel is only 1.5" deep. The 1/2" x 3" eye bolt appears to protrude through the other side through the padding even when it is fully tightened against the nut. Did you cut the excess portion of the bolt? Would something shorter like a 1/2" x 1 1/2" eye bolt work better?
I don't see any reason why you couldn't use a shorter eye bolt. You definitely don't want the bolt protruding through the bottom of the channel and scratching the top. It's very possible I may have hacked off the end of the bolt like you mentioned if it was coming through the bottom. How's the rest of the build going ?

Also - that may be why I doubled up the square washers on the eye-bolt... maybe the 3" eye bolt was just too long.

Last edited by HG07JKRubi; 04-11-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:36 AM
JK Freak

thank you so much HG for posting this on here. ever since i got my unlimited i've been looking at the hoists in quadratech and JCW wondering how to build one cheaper. then i saw your creation and to top that off you had the shelf idea. FREAKIN GREAT! i finished mine friday night around 10 or so, couldn't wait to get up saturday morning and take the top off bymyself. well after a little tweaking to find the balance i needed, all is good. thanks again for making things a little easier around here.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:43 AM
JK Freak

The eye bolt I used was shorter than 3 inches. The important part is the 1/2 inch, not the 3 inches.

Quick Reply: Hardtop hoist/storage write-up