Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Hardtop hoist/storage write-up

Old 06-24-2008, 08:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to bump, the long weekend is coming and this is a perfect project for the occasion.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rubidon
Have to bump, the long weekend is coming and this is a perfect project for the occasion.
You are absolutely right! This is something both my wife and I have been looking for. We are a two jeep family. She has a '07 Unlimited Sahara and I just got a 2dr Sahara about three weeks ago and lovin it.

We realized, even with mine how difficult it can be to take the hardtops off. This is good stuff.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

Question on the hand brake winch. Which one is recommended and who would have the best prices? Thanks!
Old 07-07-2008, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrz0170
Question on the hand brake winch. Which one is recommended and who would have the best prices? Thanks!
My advice is to copy, paste and print out the parts list in the post by HG97TJ that launched this thread. If you take it to your local Fastenal franchise and run through it with the counter guy, you'll be able to order virtually everything for the hoist in one stop -- including the winch. Chain and lumber, etc., for the shelf are available in any building supply.

To your question on the brand of winch: I bought the same Dutton-Lainson winch that HG97TJ used, but the brand of the winch is not as important as its characteristics, i.e. a vertical-lifting capability and the braking feature (essentially, the ability to hold the weight automatically, and continue holding it until it is cranked down). Of course, it must also be rated for the weight of the top and the T-bar.

This is a neat project -- certainly one of the best and most useful detailed on this forum. Good luck with it.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Default almost there...

what a great write up...
I've had my jk for 2 months and finally decided to build this hoist since the Lange one gets such poor reviews.

I bought the pulleys, 3/8"x50' rope, slotted angle and lag bolts at OSH and it added up to $80 already.

Question:
[B]How do I attach the pulley to the slotted angle?[B] The quick links I bought (rated for 500lb - can't remember the size) are too fat to go through the slotted angle's holes. Just get smaller ones? I'm concerned about intoducing a weak link. Also everything, including the pulley is marked "not for over head use".

Also, instead of building the channel strut brace (since the T-gusset and L-connections are hard to find and I don't have a way of cutting the channel strut to size), I'm thinking of just using web-straps to attach the top to the pulley. Seems like it would be simple and lighter. Anyone tried that? Bad idea?

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:51 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wrz0170

I got one on Amazon recently for $44. Search their site for "Dutton-Lainson Brake Winch 800 lbs." And like Huklbery said, if you don't by this exact brand make sure you at least get a "brake winch" that's designed for overhead lifting. If you look at the pics in the original post you'll see in one of the steps that the winch is actually holding the weight of the hard top after it's been hoisted as the wood platform is being connected.

Last edited by HG07JKRubi; 07-08-2008 at 04:54 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK2be

Question:
[b]How do I attach the pulley to the slotted angle?[b] The quick links I bought (rated for 500lb - can't remember the size) are too fat to go through the slotted angle's holes. Just get smaller ones? I'm concerned about intoducing a weak link. Also everything, including the pulley is marked "not for over head use".
You can get smaller ones. The ones I used fit just fine in the slotted angle holes and were still rated for a few hundred lbs. Or you can use the ones you have and just make the holes in the angle a little bigger by drilling it out a bit.

Originally Posted by JK2be
Also, instead of building the channel strut brace (since the T-gusset and L-connections are hard to find and I don't have a way of cutting the channel strut to size), I'm thinking of just using web-straps to attach the top to the pulley. Seems like it would be simple and lighter. Anyone tried that? Bad idea?

Thanks.
I considered straps when first designing this but I thought the channel strut would be stonger and would not sag/strectch as much allowing me to hoist the top as high as possible. You can buy the channel strut at Home Depot (or any local Electrical Supply shop) along with some of the channel hardware. As far as cutting it, get a $10 hack saw from Home Depot it will cut right through it. The T-gusset plate I used would have to be special ordered as Home Depot does not carry them. Find a local dealer of either "B-Line" (part #B532) http://www.b-line.com/product/PDFLib...tems/index.htm or "Superstrut" (part #AB-261) and look in their catalog for this piece. I wouldn't compromise on this piece. I did a quick search on B-Line's site and found a few in CA.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I considered using straps -- recovery straps, actually -- but I couldn't come up with a way to ensure that they wouldn't slip off and drop the top. This is particularly important because the top has a tendency to spin once it's liberated from the truck. In addition to getting the top as close to the ceiling as possible as HG97TJ points out, the T-Bar can be attached to the top securely AND it can be adjusted for the ideal front-rear balance point.

I bought the channel strut at my local Fastenal store, and the guys cut it for me on their horizontal band saw. However you cut it, make sure there's a full hole exactly in the center of the transverse length so that it balances left and right.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Huklbery

I considered using straps -- recovery straps, actually -- but I couldn't come up with a way to ensure that they wouldn't slip off and drop the top. This is particularly important because the top has a tendency to spin once it's liberated from the truck. In addition to getting the top as close to the ceiling as possible as HG97TJ points out, the T-Bar can be attached to the top securely AND it can be adjusted for the ideal front-rear balance point.

I bought the channel strut at my local Fastenal store, and the guys cut it for me on their horizontal band saw. However you cut it, make sure there's a full hole exactly in the center of the transverse length so that it balances left and right.
Cutting... I used a reciprocating saw.

Straps instead of Channel...

The problem with using web straps is the angle of the strap to the hook. Too acute an angle will increase the tension in the strap too much. A steeper angle & you lose your headspace.

For example, if you have a strap (sling) at a 45 degree angle then the tension in the angle is 1.44 times the weight on the sling. get that down to 5 degrees & it goes way up!

Also, here's a few tips....

Once you find your balance point, put a mark on the top with a silver permanent marker. This makes it easier to get the right spot every time.

I used a Harbor Freight 12v winch. Works great for temporary lifting (to put it on the shelf). I would not leave it unattended. Instead of keeping a battery around I use my charger/starter set to start & it has enough amps to operate the winch. I've seen some posts concerned with a winch slipping, but I have had no such problems. It's a 3000 lb winch with a pulley (6000 lbs) & it is lifting 95 lbs.

I put a pulley on winch now to slow the speed down & it works perfect.

Last edited by YellowToy; 07-23-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:22 PM
JK Newbie

VERY VERY clean, and rugged

Quick Reply: Hardtop hoist/storage write-up