Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Freedom top hoist

Old 01-20-2007, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freedom top hoist

Saw this on ebay Don't like the idea of the panels on the top but might be another idea
Old 01-21-2007, 12:15 PM
JK Newbie

I'm building a custom one now....Ended up with about $100 in parts but it will have a nice aluminum frame, and stainless hardware. Pics in a few days when I get it done...
Old 01-22-2007, 04:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Modshack
I'm building a custom one now....Ended up with about $100 in parts but it will have a nice aluminum frame, and stainless hardware. Pics in a few days when I get it done...
I'm also in the process of making a custom hoist for the freedom top. Just installed the brake winch, rope, pulleys, ceiling hooks this weekend. I'd be curious how you build the frame. That's my next step and I'm having a tough time finding materials. I saw one guy on JF used a product called "Unistrut" but I can not find this anywhere. I may end up having 2 pieces of steel tube welded to make the "T". I saw Lowes sells these tubes in 6' lengths. Whatever the solution I think I can do it for less than the cost of the Lange Hoist-A-Top mentioned above.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:52 AM
JK Newbie

My hoist was a $60 Harbor Freight Tools electric job capable of lifting 400 pounds. Then I bought a heavy steel pipe from Home Depot and a piece of 1/8" thick flat steel stock and made my own brackets out of that bar stock. Drilled a couple holes and buried 3" long bolts into the ceiling joists in my garage.

Here's a link to a picture of the finished product.

It works fine, I just failed to take pics w/ the top hanging from it. I just use some of those nylon straps w/ the hooks on the end and tie them to the hook on the winch.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HG97TJ
I'm also in the process of making a custom hoist for the freedom top. Just installed the brake winch, rope, pulleys, ceiling hooks this weekend. I'd be curious how you build the frame. That's my next step and I'm having a tough time finding materials. I saw one guy on JF used a product called "Unistrut" but I can not find this anywhere. I may end up having 2 pieces of steel tube welded to make the "T". I saw Lowes sells these tubes in 6' lengths. Whatever the solution I think I can do it for less than the cost of the Lange Hoist-A-Top mentioned above.
Unistrut will be in the electrical dept of most hardware stores. if you ask for it by the name Unistrut you may not be able to find it since that is a "brand" name and not a actual part name....if you don't know what your looking for it's basicly a "C" style channel with a bunch of holes in it...and I believe they usualy come in 8' lengths...
Old 01-22-2007, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

Here's my approach....

I attached 4 Stainless steel lift points to the top of the Jeep, through-bolted with backing plates. Each point will only have to lift <25 lbs and the top seems plenty strong enough.

Then I built a frame out of 2x2 and 1x1 aluminum angle with 4 clip points. Drop the cradle down, clip in, and hoist away. There will be a main lift point crossbar. That will install when I get the roof ready to lift for the first time and can adjust the balance point so the roof will lift off evenly.

I'll put stops on the floor so I can back into position, drop the cradle, Clip in, and hoist. No need for electric as the whole rig won't be very heavy.

You can get aluminum stock as well as most other metals here: http://www.onlinemetals.com

A few more pictures in the "Top Hoist" album here:
http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/jeep-stuff/

Last edited by Modshack; 01-22-2007 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:13 PM
JK Super Freak

You guys obviously went the more fancy route -- mine was less than $20, but it does have its drawbacks. For one, it's kind of slow-going for one person. Discussion is here:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/my-sub-%2420-hard-top-storage-solution-1035/
Old 01-28-2007, 04:01 AM
JeeperTJ

Great minds think alike I guess. I did a similar ratcheting strap setup in the barn for my 1999 TJ and I worked out great. Easy enough to remove and install the top by myself, since my wife doesn't like/can't help me 'cause it's too heavy. I also like the 2x4 suggestion, I will use that when I take off my JK top.

I prefer hard top or no top! Thanks for the ideas!

Ciao!

Ted
Old 04-16-2008, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

Anyone seen a free-standing hard top hoist system?
(my garage is a warehouse with 22' clear ceilings....)
Old 04-16-2008, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Thunderflight
Saw this on ebay Don't like the idea of the panels on the top but might be another idea

My fav:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/hardtop-hoist-storage-write-up-5559/

This is in planning stages for my garage

Quick Reply: Freedom top hoist