Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

fixing stuck seatbelt

Old 01-19-2023, 03:18 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Dat
Good info, my passanger side sticks too, makes my bride a little upset, which makes a trip not so good, I’ve not taken it apart yet, but is on my list before she takes a ride again
I don't see it mentioned in this thread, but when you do that I'd suggest using some heat on that big torx bolt holding the assembly in place. I recall stripping that head when I originally had to dig into mine and that just made it more aggravating. Heat was the solution. I replaced that bolt with grade 8 hex to make life easier in the future.
Old 07-02-2024, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow. Thanks, 5 min fix

Originally Posted by Tonka_yellow
well after a weekend of wheeling with the doors off and the top down my passenger belt would not come out. when you pull on it, it would lock after a inch or so of movement. I took the whole seatbelt assembly out but i suggest you DONT NOT DO THIS. You can do this while everything is still in the jeep and you don't mess with the spring in there.

step 1. take off the cover that hides the lower section of the seatbelt
Attachment 376132
Attachment 376133
step 2. now looking at the right side of the lower assembly (the side facing the back of the jeep). take a small flat head screw driver and pop off the plastic piece
Attachment 376136
step 3. remove this small ball (in the squareish box) from the rest and this should be the problem. this ball kept the seatbelt locked because there was so much mud caked in there. i just sprayed it out with a compressor. try not to use wd40 or a lubricant because mud will get attracted to it.
Attachment 376135
Attachment 376138
step 4. once the ball is cleaned put everything back together and you should be good to go.

most of my picture will not upload. i have about 3 or 4 if you need me to send them to you just private message me.
saved my weekend

Quick Reply: fixing stuck seatbelt