Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Fishing rod holder?

Old 05-16-2010, 07:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sharrko
Well, i am about to take my annual fishing trip to Oklahoma, and this will be my first with the jeep. I had to come up with a way to transport my fishing polls, and this is what i came up with. Velcro strips have become my best friend. LOL. I think it will work, polls will be out of the way, and there will be no bend or pressure on the polls. What do you guys think? I know it looks hill billy, but for $10 it should work for me.
Looks good to me and good job resurrecting this thread from the depths!!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found the fishing rod storage solution I'm going to use. Pretty simple and elegant. $30 give or take.

Here is the rod storage product I found.
http://www.shopatron.com/products/ca...571.0.0.0?pg=2
It is available at westmarine.com
Search dubro or West marine item number 2712123 There are other color variants availble as well (black rings gold tracks etc)

The thing I like most about this is the flexibility. The hooks and rings slide side to side and easily adjustable with a set screw. You could also alternate the rings and hooks to store rods butt to tip or reverse the direction of the hook. The hooks have rubber catch tabs to hold the rods from bouncing off the hook.

I think I'll use screws to mount the track on the speaker bar. I can slide the hooks (or loops) out if I want in the off season and leave the track installed.

In the rear, I'll probably use velcro straps to secure the aluminum rail to the rear roll bar (unlimited) again, easily removeeable in the off season or a when clearance issue presents itself.

I may have to fashion some other strap to hold them still so they don't chatter, but that is yet to be determined. I can't get to the install until maybe Thursday. I'll post pics once it's done.

I already installed the same system in my boat last week and it works very well. Now I have interchangeable parts too.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:13 PM
JK Freak

Default Photos of install

Here is the install of the system:
I used 1" nylon webbing straps with quick releases like you find on back packs etc. (I had the extra straps from my boat cover and the quick releases in fact were taken from an old beat up backpack.

The front rail is screwed in to the speaker bar with stainless screws. the load is minimal with the rod shafts so I only used one on each end to keep the rail from bending along the contour. This allows the hooks to slide out easily if I don't need them (just takes an allen wrench to loosen the set screw on each loop or hook and they slide right out.

I may use an adjustable bungee and wrap up the tips to the center windshield tie down or other location if I find the rods chattering while driving.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:17 AM
JK Newbie

I'll upload a picture of mine and my dads solution when I get home. We had an old international scout we rigged out for the beach. Basically a 6" piece of s40 PVC capped on one end and threaded on the other, then mounted fore and aft to the cargo rack. (we also cut off the back part of the cab, bolted on a camper shell, dropped the tailgate and framed it in. Tore out the rear seat and installed two folddown cot/seats and named it " The Beast". Nothing better than awesome memories with your dad!)
Old 07-12-2010, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phantasm
Here is the install of the system:
I used 1" nylon webbing straps with quick releases like you find on back packs etc. (I had the extra straps from my boat cover and the quick releases in fact were taken from an old beat up backpack.

The front rail is screwed in to the speaker bar with stainless screws. the load is minimal with the rod shafts so I only used one on each end to keep the rail from bending along the contour. This allows the hooks to slide out easily if I don't need them (just takes an allen wrench to loosen the set screw on each loop or hook and they slide right out.

I may use an adjustable bungee and wrap up the tips to the center windshield tie down or other location if I find the rods chattering while driving.
i love the flashlight mount on the soundbar..
Old 07-19-2010, 03:14 AM
JK Freak

Thanks, I have a write up on that out here as well.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Default One more fishing rod holder

Here's my version:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0322..jpg
Views:	856
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	79316

Name:	IMG_0314..jpg
Views:	648
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	79313

Name:	IMG_0316..jpg
Views:	635
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	79312

Name:	photo1..jpg
Views:	593
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	79314

Name:	photo..jpg
Views:	611
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	79315
Old 07-30-2010, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

Default Rod Holders

If you look real close you can see that a couple of Rods hanging from the rollbar. I use 2 strips of velcro wrapped around the rods. You need to break them down but I never unsting the pole so it's put the two pieces together and go.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bosscj351
i just toss mine in the back. Believe it or not, a person can over-gadget their jk.

blasphemy !
Old 08-01-2010, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Can you troll with this setup?

Quick Reply: Fishing rod holder?