Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Fishing rod holder?

Old 02-13-2008, 02:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a step closer to gettin' it done. The first thing is to get the Jeep back. I talked with the shop teacher at the school I work at and not only does he have a shear/brake, but some scrap sheet metal for my bracket! My next step is to get the materials from Lowes and put it together.

Thanks for all the ideas, guys, but I really need an interior mounted one because of where I plan on going (Ocala Nat. Forest). The last thing I need is to go barrelling through the brush and mud with my poles on the leading edge. I'll definately do the bumper mounted ones for my saltwater gear.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by FLLawdog
I'm a step closer to gettin' it done. The first thing is to get the Jeep back. I talked with the shop teacher at the school I work at and not only does he have a shear/brake, but some scrap sheet metal for my bracket! My next step is to get the materials from Lowes and put it together.
Be sure to post pics when you are done.

Originally Posted by FLLawdog
Thanks for all the ideas, guys, but I really need an interior mounted one because of where I plan on going (Ocala Nat. Forest). The last thing I need is to go barrelling through the brush and mud with my poles on the leading edge. I'll definately do the bumper mounted ones for my saltwater gear.
Just trying to inspire some creativity, hope it worked!!
Old 02-13-2008, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

I usually just keep mine inside and I have 7ft poles. i just run them over the roll bars and put a towel on top to keep them quiet.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Cabelas (www.cabelas.com), they have several solutions.

This unique exterior one.

This expensive interior one...

... and this inexpensive interior one.

Dave
The following users liked this post:
CTarna (10-10-2021)
Old 03-31-2008, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the home made version I did up for my TJ which mounts to the spare tire mount. When I purchased the Jeep (used) it came with a spare tire bike rack which was in rough shape - I re-used the mount and some of the hardware. It can hold a lot of weight (I typically load it with my tuna trolling rods), I can still tow a trailer because I'm not using the tow hitch, and it's protected in a rear end collision. One negative is I have to be careful with the longer spin rods when hitting the McDonalds drive through after a long day of fishing. The tips barely make it under the roof and I've scraped a couple of times

Last edited by jumpinjoe; 03-31-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DavidEllzey
Check out Cabelas (www.cabelas.com), they have several solutions.

Dave
cabelas is the enemy. they are a major contributor to several organizations that work towards closing our trails. just fyi...
Old 03-31-2008, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK, here's what I have so far. It's in the rough phase and the PVC needs to be evened and smoothed, plus I have to get the stuff for the soundbar portion of it. While the bungees work, I have a much better idea.

This is the handle part. Real simple, it's a piece of door kick plate trimmed down and 45'd. I used thin wall PVC, which causes a problem with the pipe clamps...they don't hold quite as snug as I would like them to. Real cheap so far. It's all held up by the footman loop.

Metal stock....FREEBIE!
PVC....$.90 a foot (6" used)
Pipe straps (actually conduit)....$.30 each
Nuts and bolts....minimal, maybe $.50 total

Sideview of the poles installed. The handles don't get in the way of each other at all and there's no problem driving with them there. I probably should have added another inch to the width of the stock.

Poles from the rear. They extend to right at the sidewall of the spare, and they're 6 1/2 foot poles.

And a straight on shot of the holder....never mind the arm shot.

I'm gonna try to the parts for the soundbar portion this week and turn them over to my sister the seamstress.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Looking good, keep us updated
Old 04-01-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Junkie

That's an awesome idea lawdog
Old 04-10-2008, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Here you go.