Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Fishing rod holder?

Old 01-22-2008, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fishing rod holder?

I wouldn't say I'm an avid fisherman, but I do enjoy getting out and least losing a couple lures (nothin' better for an excuse to go to Bass Pro!). Anyway, I've been pondering an overhead rack loosely based on the Berkely Twist and lock. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...11000_100-11-7.

The lock part that the tips go in cold mount on the sound bar, but the front? That's where I'm stuck. My thought is to make some kind of bracket with PVC tubes for the handles that will mount to the footman loop, but still allow the loop to be used for the bikini top strap.

Anyone else used something similar or completely different that they can share? If I can get it together, I'll share.

Oh, I've got a TJ, not a JK. Yeah, I know this is primarily a JK site, but you guys (and gals ) have more fun here!
Old 01-22-2008, 12:58 PM
JK Junkie

Do you have everything ready to go on your rods (i.e. reel & lure)? If not, just get a 4" (or whatever size works best for you) PVC pipe, strap it the underside of the roll/sound bar and the side bar in the back. Cap it and voila, rod tube. My dad had something like this in our full size van and ung it from the roof. it worked great and kept everything out of the way, we just had to throw the reels on and lure them up when we got where we were going.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like the bumper mount pvc version.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do you have everything ready to go on your rods (i.e. reel & lure)?
Yeah, when me and my nephew go fishing, we pond hop. We pass a body of water, we''l stop, jump out and throw a line. The less work and time that it takes to get a lure into the water, the better.

i like the bumper mount pvc version.
So do I, and they work good with big water rigs, but I'm fresh water and some of the places I'm looking to scout will eat an external mounted rod to pieces.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:36 PM
JK Junkie

This is what I use....works great.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:12 PM
JK Super Freak

I always have 2 to 3 rods and reels in my Jeep along with a couple buckets, a GP tackle box, some special tackle boxes, a folding seat, cutting boards, etc.

My rods break down into 2 pieces which I velcro together and I lay them across the rear fender wells and velcro all of them to the strap on the rear seat.

For a one piece pole/s I would use black ABS pipe (lighter) cap one end to strap to the front. A 1ft piece strapped to the center bar but cut open like a "G" I drill two hole fore and aft on that piece for cable ties.

Then a larger rear capped ABS piece. this way the rods can flex when you put the center of the rod in the "G" spot. Velcro the rods front and rear and you should have little to no noise.

Done at an angle will allow a longer rod.

Go FISH!
Old 01-22-2008, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Default Here is one I am thinking about getting

It's a little pricey, but no drilling. I've been looking at these for about a year and haven't pulled the trigger yet.

http://www.globalflyfisher.com/reviews/misc/rod_holder/
Old 01-22-2008, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Idea sounds great, can't wait to see what you come up with. Here's my homemade ridiculously cheap solution. It hold 4 rods

Last edited by mjolnir; 01-23-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:24 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mjolnir
Idea sounds great, can't wait to see what you come up with. Here's my homemade ridiculously cheap solution.

That looks awesome! Homemade or not, you could sell the design to Bass Pro for a good chunk of money.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default here's mine

this is what i've got...easy and fairly inexpensive.

click on "fishing stuff"

http://www.hatterasonmymind.com/cgi-.../web_store.cgi

Quick Reply: Fishing rod holder?