Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Extra Center Storage

Old 04-12-2008, 09:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Extra Center Storage

I went to Office Depot and found these black plastic business card holders. They were $1.49 each. They're a great size for the interior. I keep my phone, wallet and miscellanous junk in them.

I took apart the center stack to make sure I wasn't going to drill through anything imprortant (brake cable) and found the depression in front of the shifter to be a good spot. I had to grind off the front of the base of the holder to make it fit. One screw, counter sunk, holds it in place.

Also, between the cup holders and the parking break there's just enough space for another one. That's where I keep my phone. It rattles around a litte, but has never fallen out.

The next one aims up from under the armrest, perfect for easy access to my wallet when I need to pay for drive through, bribe a CHiP, etc...One screw per business card holder works just fine. Oh yeah, I drilled a hole for a pen. There's a lot of mechanical stuff under that housing, so I picked the spot closer to the passenger side to make sure the pen would clear everything. There's another layer of plastic beneath the hole that I also had to drill through. I put black electrical tape on the inside of the hole so it looks cleaner.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it, can't do it I'm manual (or can I??), but I like it, looks bloody close to factory

Old 04-12-2008, 10:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mjolnir
I like it, can't do it I'm manual (or can I??), but I like it, looks bloody close to factory

Yeah, I was pretty excited to find little holders made of almost the same material.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:04 PM
JK Super Freak

I 'm retarded, just noticed that there's 3 of them. So it will definalely work for me (with standard shifter) too, I'm alway looking for places to put stuff.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:32 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mjolnir

here is a good alternative for those of us with manual trannys...

Old 04-13-2008, 08:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scoolbz
I went to Office Depot and found these black plastic business card holders. They were $1.49 each. They're a great size for the interior. I keep my phone, wallet and miscellanous junk in them.

I took apart the center stack to make sure I wasn't going to drill through anything imprortant (brake cable) and found the depression in front of the shifter to be a good spot. I had to grind off the front of the base of the holder to make it fit. One screw, counter sunk, holds it in place.

Did you paint your center dash piece? i wanna see that! or is it an overlay thing that you painted?
Old 04-13-2008, 12:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
Did you paint your center dash piece? i wanna see that! or is it an overlay thing that you painted?
x2 if it is painted i wanna do that
Old 04-13-2008, 02:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Well, I went to Office Depot for an SD card today and looked around for those business card holders. No luck.
I even checked the clearance areas.
Do you know the OD item number?

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
Well, I went to Office Depot for an SD card today and looked around for those business card holders. No luck.
I even checked the clearance areas.
Do you know the OD item number?

Thanks.
I'll try to stop by my Office Depot today to see if they still carry them and post here with info.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
Yeah, I painted the center piece and the surround for the windshield. Check it out. It's easy. You can do it too!!!!

Quick Reply: Extra Center Storage