Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Expedition One Basic DX Install

Old 03-24-2008, 02:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Expedition One Basic DX Install

Got my new bumper this afternoon from James at Expedition One. I decided on the basic DX. I knew I wanted a stubby, and one with a winch mount built in. I decided on the Expedition One because it's plain, inexpensive and offers a lot for the money. I thought about the Basic, but I wanted a little more style, and the DX was just right. I didn't do a real in depth write up, because quite frankly, if you have trouble with this install, you might want to get tested for Down's Syndrome.

Here is the bumper as it came out of the box:

We began by removing the factory front bumper by first removing the four bolts behind the bumper (two on each side) immediately in front of the front tires. Then, we removed the plastic splash pan. Finally, we removed the clips that hold the wiring harness to the bumper frame, and the eight nuts holding the bumper frame.
Here it is with the bumper and frame removed:

IF there is a tricky part to this install, this would be it. The bumper is designed to be used in conjunction with the factory tow hooks. If they are not utilized, two holes will need to be drilled on each side, in the frame brackets where the rear bumper tabs mount. In order to use the tow hooks, the factory pressed in bolts must be removed. A large vise and large hammer come in handy.

The tow hooks form what I call a tow hook "sammich"....for obvious reasons. Note the placement of the washer on the bottom bolt. The inside washer on the bottom, and the other bottom two on the other side must be installed likewise, because of how the factory tow hooks are curved inward at the bottom.

This is a shot of the driver side rear mount tab. I made sure the driver side D ring was in the picture to give some orientation. Passenger side is very similar.

Here's the finished product. All bolts were torqued to 75 Ft. LB. and red lock tite used to assure they will not back out.

The install took my 17 year old son and I less than thirty minutes, with hand tools. There are only ten bolts that hold it on, so how can there be a problem? I think Expedition One makes a fine product at more than a reasonable price.

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 03-24-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are those d-ring mounts surface welded? i sincerely hope that they aren't. i can't tell very well from the pictures, but it doesn't look like they're welded from the back...
Old 03-24-2008, 09:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The weld goes all the way through.

Quick Reply: Expedition One Basic DX Install