Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

DIY Hardtop Cart

Old 04-11-2010 | 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

Awesome Storage Cart!! I had my top just sitting in the garage but it took up so much space that I was gonna buy a cart. But I didn't want to spend that kinda money.
So, my official thanks on saving all of us a lot of $$$ !!! Keep up the good work.

Last edited by JK_Zero; 04-11-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-12-2010 | 03:24 AM
JK Newbie

x2.

I built one this weekend using a cheap carpet remnant from Home Depot. I only used 2 blocks in the back.
Top fit perfectly, stands upright, and takes up a lot less room in the garage now. Freedom panels are in the soft-sided Mopar bag that came with the vehicle. Very happy with the storage solution for soft top season.

Thanks to all for contributing to this design !!
Old 04-18-2010 | 06:25 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

thanks for the write-up and photos , been wondering how to make one of those
Old 05-15-2010 | 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Built mine today - only used 2x 2x4's in the stack under the hinges and the balance was fine. Grand total was about $40 at Home Depot... and she rolls nice and easy and stable.
Old 05-16-2010 | 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

Nice....Wished I would of saw this before I spent money on one!
Old 05-17-2010 | 12:30 AM
JK Freak

Just finished this project. I was seriously thinking about hanging the hard top from the ceiling but i found this to be a cheaper/ easier solution. I already had all the wood, foam and carpet so I went to Home Depot and got four 2 1/2" swivel casters (2 with locks and 2 without just so it doesn't roll on its own). The project took me approx two hours cause my wife went to bed and I was trying to keep the noise down. All in all it looks like it will work. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Old 05-17-2010 | 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

This is a nice ad simple design. I just picked up the parts to make one. I do have a question though.

* I have seen two ways to get the top on to the cart:

1. Attach it to the rear of the top before removal and tilt it upright once off the Jeep like the Mopar top cart explains in the .pdf installation guide http://moparestore.trademotion.com/m...s/K6860080.pdf

2. Leave the cart on the ground, lock the wheels, then tilt the top onto it once removed

Question - What is the best way to place the top onto the cart?

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2010 | 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Heater
This is a nice ad simple design. I just picked up the parts to make one. I do have a question though.

* I have seen two ways to get the top on to the cart:

1. Attach it to the rear of the top before removal and tilt it upright once off the Jeep like the Mopar top cart explains in the .pdf installation guide http://moparestore.trademotion.com/m...s/K6860080.pdf

2. Leave the cart on the ground, lock the wheels, then tilt the top onto it once removed

Question - What is the best way to place the top onto the cart?

Thanks.
I think it is quicker and easier just to remove the top and then tilt it onto the cart.
Old 05-17-2010 | 10:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hittnthebz
I think it is quicker and easier just to remove the top and then tilt it onto the cart.
Agreed, have another person help, and just lower it onto your cart. I have locking casters, so that does help. This cart makes life so much easier!
Old 05-17-2010 | 11:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by roadking54
Agreed, have another person help, and just lower it onto your cart. I have locking casters, so that does help. This cart makes life so much easier!
I agree! Last summer I kept my hardtop in the family room of my house as I didnt want to damage it from setting it on bare concrete in the shed. The family room has carpet but it was a p.i.t.a. having it in the way all summer.

Quick Reply: DIY Hardtop Cart