Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

DIY Hardtop Cart

Old 09-23-2018 | 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

That is good finding cheaper designs, please tell us were we can find them, would be helpfull, instead of commenting with no clue.
Old 09-23-2018 | 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DKW21
THANK YOU TO ALL who has posted on this thread!!! This information has become extremely valuable to me! I am a newbie to the JK scene, but I have realized the price of this contraption is far to expensive. I have seen other designs as well! Again, thank you very much to ALL!!!
Please tell us the other solutions!! We ALL want to keep our money in the pocket
Old 03-21-2020 | 04:14 AM
JK Newbie

Here is my version - no plans, just kind of made it up as I went along, but "form follows function". Mine used a bit more lumber I guess...not too much, though. The freedom panel holder is carpeted underneath and just sits inside. Please ignore the very messy garage - that is my Coronavirus quarantine project.

Old 03-21-2020 | 05:02 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Surprised I never put mine in here. I went the other way, totally over built, but I use it as part of my garage bench/shelving. It will roll out for easier loading and unloading, but I always just carry the hardtop to and from the Jeep.

Old 05-03-2020 | 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Great thread! I’m new to the JK world and I appreciate all that have contributed here!

I’m in mid-build and worried about my casters. I picked up 2 inch casters at Lowe’s but I am concerned they are not tall enough. I think the body of the caster may be shorter than what others have used. What ground clearance do you all have?
Old 05-03-2020 | 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matt Golden
Great thread! I’m new to the JK world and I appreciate all that have contributed here!

I’m in mid-build and worried about my casters. I picked up 2 inch casters at Lowe’s but I am concerned they are not tall enough. I think the body of the caster may be shorter than what others have used. What ground clearance do you all have?
I used the 3" Kobalt casters from Lowe's for like $20 when I built my cart and they worked great, plenty of clearance. The were in the section with garage cabinets. I tried to find another set at Lowe's recently for another project and they were not in stock, From what I can tell they no longer carry those casters. They still sell other (more expensive) brands of casters. So I went to ebay and found the same Kobalt 3" casters for the same price, including shipping. They were brand new in an unopened box. So I ordered those and again they worked great. The seller on ebay had other sets for sell so you may get lucky if you want to switch casters.
The following users liked this post:
Matt Golden (05-03-2020)
Old 05-03-2020 | 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Finished! Now which top comes off first? 2009 Rubicon or 2010 Mountain?

https://i.imgur.com/3RtDXH8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/B424CJW.jpg

Last edited by Matt Golden; 05-03-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-04-2020 | 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

2010 Mountain for sure. The other can wait.
Old 07-17-2020 | 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Newbie to the Jeep, want to thank all for the design, cost me zero as I had everything laying around. Soft top going on tomorrow.

My version, the blocks have foam on back but spin around as stereo blue tooth speakers...well I could have gone that ways.....

Quick Reply: DIY Hardtop Cart