Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

DIY Hardtop Cart

Old 09-16-2011 | 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looking good...

BTW, no one seems to talk much about how they put the top on the cart safely. I feel the best way to set the top on the cart...

1. top on floor (as if still on your jeep)
2. lift and set the back/bottom edge of your top on the front of your cart.
3. tilt your top up, lifting from the front and side, gently lean it back to rest on your blocks making sure the position is correct and you are not on your rear window.

This works best for me and the top is amazingly light and easy to reposition on your cart using this method.
Old 09-16-2011 | 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AnthemAVM
I guess I went overboard with the left over carpet.

Michael
Looks like someone shot a muppet. Good. Thread!
Old 10-03-2011 | 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Nice write up, subscribed!
Old 12-05-2011 | 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great writeup! I'll be making this soon
Old 04-09-2012 | 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Default Great Post

Just Bought a Wrangler Arctic, Summer is already strong, go to look for this dolly/cart online and they all start at like $180 - $250 for a freaking cart that at MOST in my opinion, top 30 bucks! Granted everyone here is using lumber and spending about 22 bucks in supplies but i think if you were mass producing this using light tube steel or whatever it is, 180 bucks is a ridiculous margin...

Anyway, I am starting this DIY project this week. Should be fun, not that i really care about that price, but on principle, no way these 200 dollar carts are worth that price... for 200 bucks, that cart should have a hydraulic lift that takes off the top as well then sets itself on to it!!!
Old 04-22-2012 | 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

Just Completed this DIY Dolly - So Amazing how easy it was. Great write up!

Total Cost : 0$$ !! I had everything lying around at home anyway. I found four wheel casters in my tool box and had two by fours lying aroung outside. The blue covering is an old fleece blanket trippled up over the wood and staple gunned down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1586.jpg
Views:	1343
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	307903

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1587.jpg
Views:	1216
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	307904
Old 06-03-2012 | 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cpostier
Just Bought a Wrangler Arctic, Summer is already strong, go to look for this dolly/cart online and they all start at like $180 - $250 for a freaking cart that at MOST in my opinion, top 30 bucks! Granted everyone here is using lumber and spending about 22 bucks in supplies but i think if you were mass producing this using light tube steel or whatever it is, 180 bucks is a ridiculous margin...

Anyway, I am starting this DIY project this week. Should be fun, not that i really care about that price, but on principle, no way these 200 dollar carts are worth that price... for 200 bucks, that cart should have a hydraulic lift that takes off the top as well then sets itself on to it!!!
Yes those carts are expensive. One thing those metal carts have is the ability to fasten the cart to the hard top prior to removal. When the top is disconnected from the jeep, you'll be able to set the top and cart securely on the ground. Is it still worth the price vs DIY? Not in my book. I just set the top on the ground first (on top of blanket/towels), lock the wheels on the cart and with some help, pivot the top onto the cart.
Old 06-04-2012 | 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast
Vet Army

I made one of these. And no longer need it...I now have a garage and put a hoist.

If you someone needs it let me know...I'm in NJ
Old 06-07-2012 | 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WilKJ
I made one of these. And no longer need it...I now have a garage and put a hoist.

If you someone needs it let me know...I'm in NJ
Damn!! I just ordered my hoss cart yesterday for $200, I wish I read this thread first, I live in NYC and would of picked up the cart from you. Hopefully someone reads this before it's too late, unlike me.
Old 06-13-2012 | 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

Default Great Write-Up!

Thanks for the write-up! It works great. I was really surprised how stable it is. I know this might not count as a mod but building this cart was the first thing I did when I got the Jeep home from the dealership. I had to get the hard top off and in the garage. Nice! Thanks Again

Quick Reply: DIY Hardtop Cart