Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

DayStar dash panel mod

Old 07-12-2008, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great mod!
Daystar must be pretty proud of that panel. They put their friggin' name and logo on it. Give me a break Daystar.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Should of come like this too begin with great mod.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Love it!

I had to knock this out myself. I used a smaller bungee and different grommets, but over all your mod.

Below you can see the parts. I used the small bungee cords from LOWES (May still mark them black). I pulled off the bungee hardware which I reused later (Those bent clips hold the bungee after feeding through the Black Plastic Grommets: SHOWN)

FINISHED PRODUCT: With grip liner: Can be found at Costco.

Putting it on later today...

Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 07-16-2008, 07:58 PM
SJG
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Interstink
I had to knock this out myself. I used a smaller bungee and different grommets, but over all your mod.

Below you can see the parts. I used the small bungee cords from LOWES (May still mark them black). I pulled off the bungee hardware which I reused later (Those bent clips hold the bungee after feeding through the Black Plastic Grommets: SHOWN)

FINISHED PRODUCT: With grip liner: Can be found at Costco.

Putting it on later today...

Thanks for the inspiration!
Very nicely done!
Old 07-17-2008, 05:26 AM
SJG
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Grant211
has anybody figured out a way to get rid of that daystar logo?

I love the idea of this dash piece, but i hate the logo. I wonder if it could be sanded down and painted without it making it look to ricey?
I was thinking about looking for some kind of badging that could be placed over the logo to cover it up. I agree that the DayStar logo is annoyingly conspicuous.

It might be a good place for a well designed toggle switch panel, or supplementary auxiliary port. I just got one of those new iPhone 3G's - which has an awesome GPS activated Google Map (with full terrain) - and I was thinking about modifying the panel some more to make a charging/auxiliary plug adapter.

~SJG
Old 07-17-2008, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

SJG - Good idea! Should beable to fit an aux USB plug or something in that spot. Daystar has got to be the worst with logos everywhere - this thing has TWO!

I was thinking about a badge cut to fit that front oval, but a USB charging port would be a great mod - Looking into that one! If you find a nice flush mount USB port post.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:05 AM
SJG
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Interstink
SJG - Good idea! Should beable to fit an aux USB plug or something in that spot. Daystar has got to be the worst with logos everywhere - this thing has TWO!

I was thinking about a badge cut to fit that front oval, but a USB charging port would be a great mod - Looking into that one! If you find a nice flush mount USB port post.
I was also thinking about mounting a couple of small adjustable LED map lamps to the bottom-front bezel - like what you might see on a stalk-pen light. If I could find a couple of cool back-lit switches (like you might see on an extra-large tv remote control), I might be able to cut out an oval shaped switch panel from some clear acrylic that would fit over the logo. Paint the underside black, and cut out the holes for the switch buttons, and voila!

~SJG
Old 07-17-2008, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SJG
I was also thinking about mounting a couple of small adjustable LED map lamps to the bottom-front bezel - like what you might see on a stalk-pen light. If I could find a couple of cool back-lit switches (like you might see on an extra-large tv remote control), I might be able to cut out an oval shaped switch panel from some clear acrylic that would fit over the logo. Paint the underside black, and cut out the holes for the switch buttons, and voila!
~SJG
Lights would be a nice touch as the lighting in that area stinks - but I would be sure to use some sort of disconnect harness so you can still remove that dash panel.

You can get some black acrylic or maybe even close matching plastic that wont scratch as easy.

Great ideas!
Old 07-17-2008, 06:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to cover the logo, can even go to office depot etc and get some bumper sticker paper and use an inkjet printer to print a Jeep logo on it and stick it over the logo.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jfreeddo
to cover the logo, can even go to office depot etc and get some bumper sticker paper and use an inkjet printer to print a Jeep logo on it and stick it over the logo.
Yup, thought of that... Maybe sand down the Daystar first. I think making some use out of this panel with switches is a great idea though.

Quick Reply: DayStar dash panel mod