Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

DayStar dash panel mod

Old 05-18-2008, 05:08 PM
SJG
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DayStar dash panel mod

I was excited when my new DayStar dash panel arrived, but was dismayed the first time I turned a sharp corner after it was installed when my cell phone slid off and nearly flew out the passenger side window!

So, I decided to do something about it.

I had these small bungee cords and grommets in my tool box.

Using some masking tape, I taped off the vertical bar behind the rear storage compartment. I carefully measured and marked a dot on each side of the vertical bar. I used my dremel moto-tool to carefully drill a hole at each dot to slightly less than the diameter of the brass grommets.

I cut the metal hooks off of each end of the small bungee cord, then pulled each end through a grommet (you have to be careful here, and use a sharp knife or scissors - the bungee cord ends fray very easily, and onced frayed are almost impossible to pull through the grommet). I inserted the end of the bungee cord into one of the holes, and using some needle-nose pliers, pulled the bungee tight from the bottom side of the DayStar dash panel. Then, using the needle nose pliers, I pulled the bungee tight on the underside of the dash panel, and fed the end through another grommet. I let the grommet slide all the way up to the rear of the plastic vertical bar, then using another set of needle nose pliers, while pulling the bungee tight, I crimped the grommet to keep it from sliding out.

I repeated the process on the other side of the bungee cord, making sure there was the right amount of tension on the bungee cord when I was done.

It works great, and looks pretty good (at least I think so)

While the dash panel was off, I also cut out some rubber shelf liner to fit the inside of each of the storage compartments. I carefully brushed the cut-out shelf liner and the storage compartment with rubber cement, then pressed the two together.

This simple modification cost me about $0, because I used stuff that was laying around. You could probably do the same for under $10.

Also, after installation my wife convinced me that it would look better if the bungee were black. Instead of buying a black bungee and starting the project over, I put a couple of index cards behind the bungee, and used a black permanent marker to 'paint' the bungee black. I agree, it looks much better with a black bungee cord (they are just not easy to find).

Last edited by SJG; 05-19-2008 at 10:35 AM. Reason: adding pictures due to request for detail
Old 05-18-2008, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Idea, I thought my cell phone was gonna break my window as hard as it hit. I may have to take a trip to lowes.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:53 PM
JK Super Freak

hey yours looks just like mine tomorrow morning
but seriously i glues in that anti slip mat and have had no issues
tomorrow i will add black bungie
Old 05-18-2008, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just ordered the Daystar dash panel yesterday. Any tips on the installation?
Old 05-18-2008, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default Instructions...

It is really a simple install. The instructions are more than adequate with the pictures and written directions.

You should have no problems, it took me 10 minutes max...and I am not the most mechanically inclined person.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:51 AM
SJG
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BIG JOHN
I just ordered the Daystar dash panel yesterday. Any tips on the installation?
Installation is a 'snap' - literally. All you need is a flat-head screwdriver to pop-out the original dash panel. You re-use the clips from the original dash-panel. You mount the digital compass to the backside of the new dash panel (make sure its not mounted upside down or your directions will be all screwed up!). The front of the new dash panel goes in first, then the rear snaps into place with slight down-pressure on either side. Directions are simple and clear. Good luck!

~SJG
Old 05-19-2008, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

very nice and clean mod. almost looks factory
Old 05-19-2008, 01:48 PM
JK Freak

very nice!!
Old 05-19-2008, 03:05 PM
JK Junkie

[/QUOTE]

Great mod...
Old 05-19-2008, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the insite! I should take delivery tomorrow or Wednesday! I can't wait for a place to put my cell phone!

Quick Reply: DayStar dash panel mod