Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Cheap tag relocation method

Old 02-22-2008, 07:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap tag relocation method

This is very very simple to do. I took bar stock aluminum, cut it to the length that I needed(depends on wheel width and offset), and put a bend on each end. I mounted/bolted one end to the center of the tire mount on my swing out carrier (there was already a hole there) and then mounted another flat piece (tag backer) across the front of the first piece. I cut down the original tag bracket to almost flat (now I had my tag light) and I mounted my tag and the original bracket to the new mount using the 2 bolts across the top that hold the tag on. I just extended the wires for the tag light and ran them underneath the body (attached to the frame) over to my swing arm and up to the bracket/tag light. I pulled the third brake light wire out of the wire loom running through to the taligate(this was a PITA) and extended it and ran it in the loom that I had ran for the tag light up to the bracket/lights. I don't have a part number in the LED, but it's just a little cheap rice rocket LED from Advance. It was about $10. I just extended the original third brake light wires to it and that's it. All for less than $20. I am going to go back and get a 4 prong trailer wire connector (I thanks my brother Wes for that idea) to use as a good weather proof connector, right now it just had bullet connectors, which actually work fine. It takes about 20 seconds and a screwdriver to get the tag off for tire removal.

Pics of my homemade bracket.............

Before mounting the tag.........

With the tag and lights......

EDIT:I'll take this apart and snap more indepth pics over the weekend.

Last edited by BLKRUBI; 02-28-2008 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Question

Originally Posted by BLKRUBI
This is very very simple to do. I took bar stock aluminum, cut it to the length that I needed(depends on wheel width and offset), and put a bend on each end. I mounted/bolted one end to the center of the tire mount on my swing out carrier (there was already a hole there) and then mounted another flat piece (tag backer) across the front of the first piece. I cut down the original tag bracket to almost flat (now I had my tag light) and I mounted my tag and the original bracket to the new mount using the 2 bolts across the top that hold the tag on. I just extended the wires for the tag light and ran them through the wire loom to the tailgate (this was a PITA), through the tailgate and up to the bracket. I don't have a part number in the LED, but it's just a little cheap rice rocket LED from Advance. It was about $10. I just extended the original third brake light wires to it and that's it. All for less than $20. I am going to go back and get a 4 prong trailer wire connector (I thanks my brother Wes for that idea) to use as a good weather proof connector, right now it just had bullet connectors, which actually work fine. It takes about 20 seconds and a screwdriver to get the tag off for tire removal.

Thanks, you got a nice rig too!

BWR
Old 02-22-2008, 07:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bluewaterrider
Looks great! Ok next big question where do we get the black cover to close off the ORIGIONAL HOLE location??.............

Thanks, you got a nice rig too!

BWR
Thanks. I came from the dealer. It's the tag delete panel for the European JK. It's like $5 from the dealer. I posted the part number on another thread a while back. I 'll see if I can find it.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:35 AM
JK Junkie

The part number for the delete panel is 55397112AA.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Default Cool

Originally Posted by BLKRUBI
The part number for the delete panel is 55397112AA.

THANKS AGAIN!!
Old 02-22-2008, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like the AMC/Jeep tag too. Nice touch, I think I'm going to have steal your idea.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bradlybob
I like the AMC/Jeep tag too. Nice touch, I think I'm going to have steal your idea.
Thanks. It was going on my CJ (that I sold) when I had it painted. It never got painted and I didn't send the emblem with it's new owner.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool!

BTW that little post that is supose to hold the wheel from swinging around and bashing in to the side of your jeep. It will bend and let the wheel hit the side of your jeep.

My dealer has one that got bent over, the lady that was looking at it let her kid swing on the wheel! I was sitting at a table about 15 feet away. When I told my sales guy he just about cried. I was PO'd and the sales people were as well but nothing could be done, she just walked out.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mcds99
Very cool!

BTW that little post that is supose to hold the wheel from swinging around and bashing in to the side of your jeep. It will bend and let the wheel hit the side of your jeep.

My dealer has one that got bent over, the lady that was looking at it let her kid swing on the wheel! I was sitting at a table about 15 feet away. When I told my sales guy he just about cried. I was PO'd and the sales people were as well but nothing could be done, she just walked out.
Thanks and thanks for the info. I don't let the thing go when I open it, but it's hard to move anyway with all the weight that I have on it. The pics here are old. I had to replace the first bracket that I made when I replaced wheels. My old wheels had 5.25" of backspacing and the new PSC's have 3.75" so my first bracket was short. Anyway, my point is that the PSC/Nitto combo is heavy and it takes some force to move the swing arm.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:36 AM
JK Newbie

Talking Yes

Originally Posted by LiquidSmile
I have an extra Lic. Plate plug if any one needs it (The plug to fill the stock hole)

I'll take it.

Quick Reply: Cheap tag relocation method