Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

center console switch and power panel (hard-mounted inverter)

Old 08-14-2010, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My question is what did you do with the hole created when you removed the one 120V plug? I guess you removed the plug in order to run a wire from the switch circuitry on the inverter face to your console switch panel. So, what did you do with the wires that you cut off from the plug that you removed? Did you close in the resulting open swich hole in any way? Just wondering because it seems like a good way for dirt and crap to get in there if you left it open. Mind you, electronics is not my strong spot, so I'm simply asking so I can learn something.

Also, why didn't you remove the switch on the box and butt connect the wires and run those up to the console switch panel?

It seems a shame you bought an inverter with 2 plugs and you only get to use 1 of them.

Thanks,
Vedo
Old 08-15-2010, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great work, and nice website on the custom pannel, I'll have to check it out.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vedo13
My question is what did you do with the hole created when you removed the one 120V plug? I guess you removed the plug in order to run a wire from the switch circuitry on the inverter face to your console switch panel. So, what did you do with the wires that you cut off from the plug that you removed? Did you close in the resulting open swich hole in any way? Just wondering because it seems like a good way for dirt and crap to get in there if you left it open. Mind you, electronics is not my strong spot, so I'm simply asking so I can learn something.

Also, why didn't you remove the switch on the box and butt connect the wires and run those up to the console switch panel?

It seems a shame you bought an inverter with 2 plugs and you only get to use 1 of them.

Thanks,
Vedo
I have the same questions...what to do with the large opening with the removal of the plug(s) and why not use both of the plugs and extend the wires???

any recommendations on a good inverter that won't break the bank????
Old 08-31-2010, 09:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by njbeachrat
I have the same questions...what to do with the large opening with the removal of the plug(s) and why not use both of the plugs and extend the wires???

any recommendations on a good inverter that won't break the bank????
The cord for the switch runs through the opening in the front panel of the inverter where the socket used to be flush mounted. These are far from being sealed units -- the front panel is already full of perforations -- so I'm not terribly worried about dust ingress. It's also mounted out of sight, so I'm not worried about aesthetics.

I am using a "Rhino" 400W inverter that I picked up for about $40.

I didn't have room in my chosen location to mount two sockets -- it's the same power output regardless, so I guess I'm not really concerned about "wasting" a socket. I threw a mini power splitter in my center console in case I need to power more than one thing, or plug in a power brick that would otherwise not fit:

Old 08-31-2010, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey mmccurdy,
Would you consider posting your template file? I'd like to order basically the same plate so it would be much easier for me to just use YOUR hard work

I appreciate you taking the time to share your idea and would appreciate it even more if you could let me copy!

Jim
Old 08-31-2010, 09:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by yellow08jk
Hey mmccurdy,
Would you consider posting your template file? I'd like to order basically the same plate so it would be much easier for me to just use YOUR hard work

I appreciate you taking the time to share your idea and would appreciate it even more if you could let me copy!

Jim
Here ya go...
Attached Files
File Type: zip
aux_panel.fpd..zip (699 Bytes, 160 views)
Old 08-31-2010, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

You are awesome

I'll post mine in a couple weeks when it's done.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice thanks for the quick response
Old 09-16-2010, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

Do you still have use of your console? Pictures?
Old 01-30-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Super Freak

That is totally and completely an awesome place for switches. Never ever thought about that place.

Quick Reply: center console switch and power panel (hard-mounted inverter)