Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Black Moabs

Old 01-30-2008, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey PhishJeep - how many coats of primer and paint did you use??? how many would you recommend using?
Old 01-31-2008, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

How is the paint holding up?

Have you used any cleaners on the wheels?

I think I may do this to my wheels. I would think that the paint would come of easy but maybe not.

Thanks for the Great idea.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Matto
How is the paint holding up?

Have you used any cleaners on the wheels?

I think I may do this to my wheels. I would think that the paint would come of easy but maybe not.

Thanks for the Great idea.
Phish did a great job...I did a hack job on chrome wheels on a Toyota a few years back, and it is even still holding up fine. Hack = wash with steel wool, dry and spray Krylon flat black
Old 02-16-2008, 04:17 PM
JK Super Freak

bump hows it holding up?
Old 02-16-2008, 04:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I wish I had the balls to do it. I've come close, but if I mess em up.....
Old 02-16-2008, 07:31 PM
JK Super Freak

I've done this on 3 other sets of wheels (not on my Jeep) and as long as you do the proper preparations and take your time, they'll hold solid.

The first set I ever did, we cleaned and sanded the wheel lightly, painted, then "cooked" it in front of a propane bullet heater for about 15 minutes. Never had a problem, even as a DD through nasty winters.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Well, they're dirty (and not the good kind) from the snow this week, but there are no chips or scratches in the paint. They actually clean up really well. Last weekend I washed the Jeep for the first time in like 2 months, and I just used the dregs of the wash soapy water with a sponge on the wheels. I used to always used wheel cleaner, but it's not necessary with the painted wheels.

When they are clean, they still look like the picture at the beginning of this thread. Initially, I was thinking about recoating them, but since they are holding up so well, I'm not even going to do that. If these wheels were 8.5-9 inches wide, I would just keep them forever. None of the aftermarket wheels look as good as the MOABs, IMHO.

I think I used 2-3 coats of self etching primer (don't skimp, evidently this is the reason the paint hasn't flaked up yet.) and 2-3 coats of rustoleum hammered. I can show you a new picture, but they aren't any different than before.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by N2rock
We don't have winter here. So I'm not concerned about my daily driving. I'm concerned about how well the paint will hold up in off road conditions- rocks, trees, stones, sand, mud, etc.
Ah...good point.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

i woulda left them in that nice mil spec tan primer color
Old 02-20-2008, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Unfortunately, it's not even close to tan, or I would have. In fact, one day... Actually is really pale green, but I can't have any green on my Jeep unless its December because of the whol Christmas thing. Just like I can't have any yellow on the Jeep at all because I live in Redskin Territory, and the Stereotypes are bad enough already. That also means no OME lift because of the yellow shocks.

I have had it offroad only 3 times since they were painted (new baby means I'm not out much lately), but they held up well to mud and sand. No more rockrash, but I know the paint won't hold up to that anyway. Crozet trip in 2 weeks, though, so maybe I'll get to test the rock rash there.

Quick Reply: Black Moabs