Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

4dr removing rear seats and console for linex prep

Old 06-27-2009, 03:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4dr removing rear seats and console for linex prep

the center console comes out so easy, put the transfer case in 4hi, pull the emergency brake all the way up, put a 5/8'ths wrench under the transfer case shifter and hit it up with a hammer to pop the handle off, next pry off the console bezel or surround, its the black part that contains the cup holders and surrounds the transfer case shifter, open the storage compartment and pry it up from the front edge, it just unsnaps from the console

next take out the 4 torx screws, two on each side, see pics below
rear screw in the center on the pic

then the front screw

now you can lift the console off from the rear

the rear seats on the 4dr have a ton of red locktite holding then on, they only get torqued to 55lbs, remove all the front leg screws completely then you can flip the legs up and the bottom of the seat back so you can get to the bolts on the angle you need at least a 6in extension, 10in worked better, there are also 2 nuts on the rear of the seats you can get after the angle ones by flipping seat forward, and one that holds the center seat belts. there are also two nuts you have to remove on the side of the drivers side rear that hold the two seats together.

rear seat legs

folded up

bolt hole

only way to get to that bolt is having the seat flipped up

the 2 nuts holding the 2 sections of the rear seats together

the console in the 2 pieces it comes out in

the plastic trim at the kicker panels comes off easy, if you use the trim removal tool like I show in first pic you can get them off without breaking and reuse them

Last edited by tkob1060; 06-29-2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man where was this when I was ripping my interior apart?? Good write-up for future reference. btw, I bought a trim tool for $8 and ended up destroying the plastic clip thingies anyway..... 33cents each from the dealership so it's cheaper to just get a handful of those if someone doesn't want to spend the coin on a trim tool (that's my new word I'm going to try and work into conversation everyday)
Old 06-29-2009, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by falconfixer
Man where was this when I was ripping my interior apart?? Good write-up for future reference. btw, I bought a trim tool for $8 and ended up destroying the plastic clip thingies anyway..... 33cents each from the dealership so it's cheaper to just get a handful of those if someone doesn't want to spend the coin on a trim tool (that's my new word I'm going to try and work into conversation everyday)
I only broke one lol

what is going to be your new word trim tool?

I cant believe the dealer only charged you .33 when the fender clips are over $4 a piece
Old 06-29-2009, 08:10 AM
JK Junkie

yep, "trim tool" it just sounds filthy and my wife hates when I say trim, vag, gash, hatchet wound, etc so it's more to drive her up the wall

I haven't had to get any fender clips, yet, but my parts department up here is pretty cool and the service dept is very mod friendly.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by falconfixer
yep, "trim tool" it just sounds filthy and my wife hates when I say trim, vag, gash, hatchet wound, etc so it's more to drive her up the wall

I haven't had to get any fender clips, yet, but my parts department up here is pretty cool and the service dept is very mod friendly.
you know I was just thinking of the "trim" part of that being dirty but it finally clicked tool makes it even dirtier
Old 07-11-2009, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I will be having my Jeep Line-X'd this week, and will do the prep of removing the seats and console myself like you did. Thanks for the excellent write-up and pictures: it will be my guide.
Since you did it yourself, I have a couple of questions and hope you can answer them. First, I presume I shoud disconnect the battery before I remove the front passenger seat and its electrical connections. Since I will need to drive to the shop to get it done, will any codes or other malfunctions occur when I re-connect the battery with the front passenger seat removed? Second, did you remove the wiring loom entirely before spraying, or just wrap it in plastic or wahtever? Third, are there any nuts to the bolts that hold the seats in place which will fall off when the bolts are removed, (and drop into a location impossible to retrieve them from) or are there just threads in the body/frame that holds the seat bolts in palce? Finally, are there any other "bewares" that you learned the hard way that you can warn me and others about?? I'm going with the gray color as my Unlimited is silver with the gray interior. I'll post pictures when it's done. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:14 PM
JK Super Freak

I didn't disconnect the battery before or after removing and installing the seat. Never had a code.
I also just pulled the wiring up to the roll bars.
I can't remember if the bolt holding the 60/40 had a nut or not. It's been awhile since mine. I don't think it did, but it won't go anywhere but the floor board.

Quick Reply: 4dr removing rear seats and console for linex prep