Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

4-Point Hard Top Lift

Old 10-23-2009, 04:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by earnsdorff
I have the first version complete! Now for improvements!
Below is some pictures of the lift. If anyone is interested in more details just ask and I can post more details.

The maiden lift of the top from my Jeep!! It was a success!! First Try!

3" PVC Pipe inserted in 4" PVC Pipe "Bearings"

Harbor Freight Lift Operated with Cordless Drill
Very creative........Cant wait for the detailed write-up....
Old 11-02-2009, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

Great lift! I was curious what is connected to the hard top? Do you drill through the top and run eye bolts?
Old 11-02-2009, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

No holes!!!!
I bought hooks from Lowe's but they are utility hooks you screw in a wall so I'm sure any home store would have something similar.
I will post the specifics later.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Pvc

I'm bashed for making everything out of pvc. I see you've moved pvc-ing to a level that I can appreciate. I'll be making one of these for sure. Good job
Old 11-04-2009, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks!!

I have to apologize for not having written it up better.

I will get some more info posted this weekend to help anyone who is interested - including some dimensions (especially any critical dimensions) and specific parts to make it a bit easier for anyone else who tries it.

I also have a few ideas to improve and add to it and will be doing that over the next few weeks.

Any suggestions would be helpful as well!
Old 05-11-2010, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

This is a great system! I'd like to build it, but I'm a little unclear on a couple of points. Did you ever finish the write-up? I didn't see it in the Write-Ups section, but I'm still learning my way around. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eriadoc
This is a great system! I'd like to build it, but I'm a little unclear on a couple of points. Did you ever finish the write-up? I didn't see it in the Write-Ups section, but I'm still learning my way around. Thanks in advance.

My apologies - I never took the time to give additional details. If you would ask me what some of the things you are unclear on I will be glad to give you all the details you want.

I can say it still works great and I can remove or install my top in under 10 minutes (closer to 5 minutes). In order to remove the top quickly I also changed the hardtop screws to some large head thumbscrews (I purchased mine from MSC but I have seen some from Quadratec and others that were almost as cheap since then).
Old 05-13-2010, 06:45 PM
JK Super Freak

That is a great lift!!! Job well done
Old 04-24-2012, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Hard Top Lift - Still Works Great!

I thought I would brag on my hard top lift!

It's been in place for a couple of years now and still works like a champ! I can take my top off in under 10 minutes.

The only thing I would recommend is using a higher quality winch than the harbor freight unit. The unit from harbor freight does not have hardened gears which show wear and will need replacing eventually. I would recommend the same winch design as it works very well with a cordles power drill.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:23 AM
JK Newbie

Default update

Originally Posted by earnsdorff
I thought I would brag on my hard top lift!

It's been in place for a couple of years now and still works like a champ! I can take my top off in under 10 minutes.

The only thing I would recommend is using a higher quality winch than the harbor freight unit. The unit from harbor freight does not have hardened gears which show wear and will need replacing eventually. I would recommend the same winch design as it works very well with a cordles power drill.
Curious if you made any changes to your design since your last post. Also, aside from locking it into place, do you leave it this way for long term storage? Versus others that I have seen that add some type of platform or boards underneath to take the stress off of the corners.

Quick Reply: 4-Point Hard Top Lift