Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

$7.85 Third Brake Light Relocation

Old 02-16-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $7.85 Third Brake Light Relocation

I relocated my 2010 JK Rubicon 3rd brake light. Total investment $7.85 in hardware and two hours labor. Start w/ removing spare; disassemble the third brake light housing by removing 4 screws (save); disconnect the wire harness from the 3rd brake light & move it to safety for re-use; remove spare support (8 ea. 13mm) deep socket recommended; cut the OEM 3rd brake light stem near the base (see photos); cut it again about 2 inches below the light. Fashion a new bracket (I used 1" X 1/8" X 12" aluminum bar stock). Reinstall tire mount. Relieve and smooth the rear bottom of the aluminum housing to accommodate the wire, then reattach the wiring harness to the OEM LED light housing. Mark, drill & mount the OEM LED 3rd stop light to the newly fashioned bracket using two of the four screws you saved from disassembly. Fit the bracket to the stub left from the first cutting. Drill one hole through the new bracket and the supporting stub & fasten it. Make any adjustments necessary before drilling two more holes and adding fasteners. Install spare. Wash up.
Eleven supporting photos are on my gallery at http://goo.gl/hA2fu
The End:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3330.jpg
Views:	2635
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	127960

Last edited by Deliverus; 02-16-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice, very clean setup!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Deliverus
I relocated my 2010 JK Rubicon 3rd brake light. Total investment $7.85 in hardware and two hours labor. Start w/ removing spare; disassemble the third brake light housing by removing 4 screws (save); disconnect the wire harness from the 3rd brake light & move it to safety for re-use; remove spare support (8 ea. 13mm) deep socket recommended; cut the OEM 3rd brake light stem near the base (see photos); cut it again about 2 inches below the light. Fashion a new bracket (I used 1" X 1/8" X 12" aluminum bar stock). Relieve and smooth the rear bottom of the aluminum housing to accommodate the wire, then reattach the wiring harness to the OEM LED light housing. Mark, drill & mount the OEM LED 3rd stop light to the newly fashioned bracket using two of the four screws you saved from disassembly. Fit the bracket to the stub left from the first cutting. Drill one hole through the new bracket and the supporting stub & fasten it. Make any adjustments necessary before drilling two more holes and adding fasteners. Install spare. Wash up.
Eleven supporting photos are on my gallery at http://goo.gl/hA2fu
The End:
Attachment 127960

Great Job! Hope it goes to a write up...

Wow! please tell me were i can the brackets for the antennas. Thanks
Old 02-16-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lovehate
Great Job! Hope it goes to a write up...

Wow! please tell me were i can the brackets for the antennas. Thanks
I got both brackets from Quadratec.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Deliverus
I got both brackets from Quadratec.
I searched q-tec and i am not able to find them. Can you help a broyher out thanks.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

I searched q-tec and i am not able to find them. Can you help a broyher out thanks.
Brother..sorry about the spelling..
Old 02-17-2011, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

See these 3 offerings:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_112.htm (I have this one)
http://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_402.htm
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16180_000.htm (not stainless)

Trail Flag mounting kit uses same design, in aluminum, but mounts to the opposite side from the antenna mount. This is what you see in the pictures I posted on my gallery. See http://www.quadratec.com/products/96081_008.htm
Old 02-17-2011, 01:20 PM
JK Freak

looks good, i do have a question does any one know if this is legal? a couple of months back in the summer i got pulled over. and i think it had to do with my doors been off. and he commented on my 3rd brake light not been visible. i have the body armor type that extends it on top of the spare tire which is a 35". i think he pulled me over because he couldnt see it due to riding my ass but what do i know i thought about flipping my brake light bracket so it shows up in this location. which brings me back to would this be legal in NY? any officers out there or anyone that may know from a similar exsperience id greatly appreciate it. ive looked on those lift restriction sights for something with these but i havent found anything. any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-17-2011, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

legal? really.
My front license plate:
Click image for larger version

Name:	biteme.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	128211
In Arizona only one STOP light is required. If you have two stop lights they both must work. If it is on the vehicle it must work.
Arizona statute:
28-939. Signal lamps and devices
A. A motor vehicle may be equipped and if required under this article shall be equipped with the following:
1. A stop lamp on the rear that emits a red or yellow light, that is actuated on application of the service or foot brake and that may be incorporated with a tail lamp.
2. One or more lamps or a mechanical signal device that is capable of clearly indicating an intention to turn either to the right or to the left and that is visible both from the front and rear.
B. A stop lamp shall be plainly visible and understandable from a distance of one hundred feet to the rear both during normal sunlight and at nighttime. A signal lamp or lamps indicating the intention to turn shall be visible and understandable during daytime and nighttime from a distance of one hundred feet both to the front and rear. If a vehicle is equipped with a stop lamp or other signal lamps, the lamp or lamps shall:
1. Be maintained at all times in good working condition.
2. Not project a glaring or dazzling light.
C. A mechanical signal device shall be self-illuminated when in use at the times provided in section 28-922.
-----------
Source: http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument....28&DocType=ARS

I really don't give a fig whether it is legal in your state or not. If I can find the applicable statute in my state so can you. --- And I thought this thread was about innovation and sharing freely to stimulate others imagination. Just goes to show that there is NOWHERE to hide from legalistic heros that would save us from ourselves.

Last edited by Deliverus; 02-17-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SIDsjeep
looks good, i do have a question does any one know if this is legal? a couple of months back in the summer i got pulled over. and i think it had to do with my doors been off. and he commented on my 3rd brake light not been visible. i have the body armor type that extends it on top of the spare tire which is a 35". i think he pulled me over because he couldnt see it due to riding my ass but what do i know i thought about flipping my brake light bracket so it shows up in this location. which brings me back to would this be legal in NY? any officers out there or anyone that may know from a similar exsperience id greatly appreciate it. ive looked on those lift restriction sights for something with these but i havent found anything. any help would be greatly appreciated
I did some research on this and generally speaking it appears if you have one on.. then it needs to work.. Meaning you can get pulled if it is burned out. My assumption if it is blocked you can too.
Currently mine is 100% covered up. The legal thing does not worry me as much as some A-hole texting and rear ending me.. will look into this mod as an option... thanks

Quick Reply: $7.85 Third Brake Light Relocation