Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS issue with '13 Rubicon take of wheels/tires on a '13 Sport

Old 12-09-2013, 09:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS issue with '13 Rubicon take of wheels/tires on a '13 Sport

Bought a '13 JK sport a week ago and found some local '13 Rubicon wheels and tires for a decent price. I bought them and put them on thinking that was all I needed to do but now the TPMS is chirping at me. I thought the sensors were still in the tires but now I can't find the dudes number to confirm if they were or not. When I turn on the JK the low psi light flashes but then goes solid after a bit. The gauge that shows each tire shows up but where the numbers would be listed there are just "--" .

I went to Discount Tire to ask if they could reset them or something and they said they couldn't help me other than swap out the sensors from my stockers into the new rubis. After seeing this I looked up online to see what I could find and tried what someone else suggested at upping the psi to the 42+ range to try and reset the system. This didn't work, nothing changed.

Today I stopped at a dealership (I bought mine "used" from a different used lot with 142 miles on the clock) and asked if they could scan the sensors to see what the deal was. I wondered if maybe one of the sensors was bad since I think the tires sat for a while in storage from the point the original JKR was bought to when I picked up the take offs and that this was screwing up everything else. The service guy that I was talking to said that there wasn't anything to scan in the tires and the only way to tell if the sensors were in place (gotta start somewhere) was to pop the bead and physically look. He also said that sensors register with their serial numbers to the computer and that it needs the sensors that were installed from the factory to work. Any other sensors would throw an error. He told me to bring in the stock tires and they would swap everything over. Just to change the sensors he said it would cost about $100 but he basically told me at least one of the stock stems would probably break which would be another $70 a pop. I didn't ask how much Discount Tire would charge but am inclined to have them do the work should this be the only solution to my problem.

I know I can but a procal or that superchips thing to flash the TPMS alert off. I plan on buying one of these doodads to adjust for tire size and future gearing but I would like this to work. I think having the tire pressure is a beneficial thing to be aware of.

Have any of you guys been told this info about the TPM sensors being paired to the Jeep via serial numbers? Was the service guy BS-ing me about not being able to use a tool to read whether there was a sensor installed or not? Are there any other tips or tricks that I have missed that others have used on a 2013 JK? Anything you guys can help with is appreciated. I tried to do my due diligence and search but am not sure whether the serial pairing may be a 2013 model "feature".

Thanks again.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

That service guy cannot be trusted. I have '13 Sahara take offs with my '10 Sport. Mine came with the sensors in them and the computer learns the code from the rims. I have 3 sets of rims for mine, the original steelies, the factory alloys and now these new ones. I never had to program anything with any one these. I do have a sensor that does give an error "low pressure" light on my dashboard intermmittently but every tire's pressure is fine. I have set my warning light to go on at a much lower pressure programmed via a Bully Dog tuner.

I would call around different tires shops yo see who has a scan tool and ave them check to see if your new rims have them. You can buy the sensors from eBay also. Discount Tire has always been pretty solid for service for me.

I had a company truck which had a tire issue and when I had them to look at a slow leak during maintenance, they took off the factory valve/sensor and installed a normal valve. The had to look for the sensor when I demanded it back from them. The mangled the crap out of it and I took it to Discount to has them repair and install it.

Get a reprogrammer like the AEV one if you don't want anything fancy like the Bully Dog. I have a buddy who has one and it works great. I really like mine since if gives me all kinds of information straight from the engine computer.

As far as I have read or my own experience the sensor's own serial numbers are not tied the the vehicle's VIN. With so many wheel sensor numbers, the database for Jeep dealer's computers would be ridiculous.

Good luck!

Last edited by chuck_tempe; 12-10-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the comment. I felt the service guy at the dealer was totally BS-ing me. There is no way Jeep would be that dumb to tie these stupid little sensor serials to the vehicle. I did just call a 4x4 shop that seems to do a lot of business locally and was told basically what you just said. He said either all of the sensors are bad or more likely, the PO of the take offs pulled the sensors. He said it would cost $15 a tire (5) to swap over the sensors from my stockers. I'd like to take them to him to have the work done but he is 45 minutes out of the way. I'll probably take them to the Discount just down the street.

This leads me to a rant. Why the hell do sales people pull this shit? If you don't know whether the sensors can be read don't tell some story about how they are tied to the vehicle. I get that there are gullible people out there but seriously, wtf? Its unfortunate that this happened because this dealer was the closest (of several) to my house and I would just assume go there for needs as they arise. There is no way in hell I'm going back though. It just pisses me off that someone can't be upfront about something as trivial and stupid as this. Now, if the dude honestly didn't know much about these sensors why didn't he take the two minutes to go ask a grease monkey if he had a tool that would read whether the sensor was there or not? I was relaxed. I didn't say I was in a super rush or anything. Take the time to get your facts straight dammit.

/rant

Thanks again.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Sounds like you may have the wrong sensors. If you have the dash readouts with individual tires shown, and the Rubicon they came from did not, then that is your issue. The ones that do not have the pressure readout on the display use different sensors than those that do.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

They changed the signal frequency between 2012 and 2013 so that should not be the problem. The reset is to drive it above 15mph for around 20 min. Thats how new/different ones pair up.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jwilson2598
Sounds like you may have the wrong sensors. If you have the dash readouts with individual tires shown, and the Rubicon they came from did not, then that is your issue. The ones that do not have the pressure readout on the display use different sensors than those that do.
you sure I thought they had the Same part number on all models of wranglers 2013 and 2014. 56029398AB
Old 12-10-2013, 09:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have driven about 350 miles on these Rubi take offs so I think they would have reset by now if they are going to. I am planning to just take all 10 tires to Discount Tire on Friday and get them changed over. Then i guess I'll see whether there are even any sensors in there at all.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

If you need to buy new tpms sensors go through amazon and buy the 5 sensor kit from source auto I got a 5 pack delivered new for 79.00 shipped.

Quick Reply: TPMS issue with '13 Rubicon take of wheels/tires on a '13 Sport